Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello, is there a way to upgrade the 2.8 version of zen to the newest 3.0 without re - installing the system?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

upgrading zenwalk 2.8 TO 3.0

hello, is there a way to upgrade the 2.8 version of zen to the newest 3.0 without re - installing the system?
    P4 1.8, 1G DDR ram, 64mb GF2 MX400, 80G WD and 40G Maxtor, ECS mobo. Playing XP,Slack 12.0 and Vector Linux 5.8 GOLD, STD 6.0 Zenwalk 4.6.1, OpenBSD 3.9

Just Joined!

Smile upgrade to zenwalk 3.0 from 2.8

I loaded one of my PC's w/ 3.0 recently. Since the distro is fairly light, the entire load is fairly quick. If you want 3.0, I'd do a fresh install, but that's me.

I can understand if you'd just like to upgrade. If you upgrade to "current" you will essentially be up to zenwalk 3.0. There may be a few differences, I have not checked. I am running "current" on a 2.8 zenwalk on another PC, with no problems. If you don't upgrade regularly, a current upgrade could take some time.

ZW happens to be a new personal fav. I like XFCE, and the default FS seems to work well.
    NS

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by NebStone
    If you want 3.0, I'd do a fresh install, but that's me.
    Me, too - I prefer fresh installs over upgrades and in the end it might not take any longer.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by ozar
    Me, too - I prefer fresh installs over upgrades and in the end it might not take any longer.
    same here...... i always prefer fresh install......

.... casper ....
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Newbie
    yes.. you guys prefer to install a fresh one coz you're already an expert in this field unlike me. a newbie; and also i want to experience doing an upgrade of a certain box.. it does not give me a challenge if I will be just re installing the new version.. niwei thanks.. BTW i have successfully upgraded my 2.8 to 3.0 thanks for the TIPS given

BUT if i may ask.. y do you guys prefer a fresh install? would i miss something?
    P4 1.8, 1G DDR ram, 64mb GF2 MX400, 80G WD and 40G Maxtor, ECS mobo. Playing XP,Slack 12.0 and Vector Linux 5.8 GOLD, STD 6.0 Zenwalk 4.6.1, OpenBSD 3.9