Find the answer to your Linux question:
For the For-What-It's-Worth category: PC newbie here (15 months off and on over several years; several years on Macs though) feeling like I'm "on the run" already "away" from 'Windows' ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Day One results (impressive!)

For the For-What-It's-Worth category:

PC newbie here (15 months off and on over several years; several years on Macs though) feeling like I'm "on the run" already "away" from 'Windows' after a scare from a seemingly very dangerous spyware program (a "dialer.exe" one--thus, maybe a "dialer" ["modem hijacker" ]one)....and so, after favorable results trying out Linspire Live from a CD,I decided to try to screw up some nerve and try to
    1. add a second hard drive
    2. get Linux, as in Linspire, installed and up on it and thus be able to , if and when necessary, watch " Windows" disappear in the rear-view mirror as it's behind left behind...

Results:
    1. installing the HD via a new external HD enclosure:
    the enclosure only recognized about 8 GB of the 150 GB hard drive put into it. And, the PC refused to boot to this hard drive (so--at least from my tentative understanding of things --this would seem to mean a pretty hard-pressed situation to try to get the Linspire installed at least in a usable way).

2. Another try with a second, different (different brand) new external HD enclosure: basically the same result, onlly 7.75 G recognized and PC wouldn't boot to it, despite the settings in the bios being changed

3. decided to take a chance and try to install the HD right in the PC, which looked chancy especially, due to the PC having an SATA drive while the 160 GB one to be installed, is an ATA/IDE, and the one IDE
    plug available seemed to be in the slave position of the ribbon going to the CD-rom.
    Surprisingly, maybe, this HD internal installation "did" seem to work, although once again, it "seemed" (from what I recall,, less than totally sure of the exact details here as I was getting exasperated and just making a "last ditch" effort), that probably only a very very small portion of the hard drive Gigs was going to be recognized, once again.

4. ... with the decision made to try "anyway" to install the new OS for it, here, upon sticking in the Linspire CD, is where , I think, the biggest surprise came about:
    Linspire, upon coming onto the screen, promptly reported the presence of the new hard drive --complete with a report that the drive seemed to be partitioned into both an 8 G section and "As Well" another one about 150 G--and further said it looked like either one would be usable, and did I want Linspire to install Linspire 5.0.3 (I think) onto the bigger partition
    And it installed and this message which I'm writing now, is from the newly installed Linspire.
    Granted, there may still be some rueful "fun" ahead, such as how to boot into it if the PC (year-old Dell 4700 2.8 GHz P4) continues to declines to respond effectively to Bios changes to get it to change the booting (so far, it's doing things like responding to direction to change booting to to USB devices like the previous external USB HD enclosures, by promptly reporting impertinent things something like"the floppy drive is ineligible for booting from" and similar.

Meanwhile, I think may be fair to direct a LOT of credit somewhere, for all I know it may be that Linux in general is excellent like this, but for now I think I'll just credit this Linspire 5 operating system itself and what it seems to have done so far--which seemingly is that it has in practical terms "straightened out," maybe even "fixed," existing hardware problems so as to then proceed to successfully install itself to this suddenly balky machine. It may be pretty early to judge, but the early results with Linspire sure seem impressive enough. The DSL recognitions to get things online, have gone well too, both here with the permanent Linspire install and with the previously tried Live version.

good to hear a happy linux convert
    too bad you had to waste all that money on hard drive enclosures though
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?