Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm pretty new to Linux. I decided to get off the M$ roller coaster, but I'm stumbling over a few of the Linux gotchas. I have a laptop that seems ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Access problem

I'm pretty new to Linux. I decided to get off the M$ roller coaster, but I'm stumbling over a few of the Linux gotchas.
    I have a laptop that seems to want to force me to always log in with root access.
    I can't save anything in Mozilla Thunderbird. No way no how. I can't even see my home directory from within it.
    I can't open my cdrom unless I select eject. But that only works from my root access.

Is there a fix for this or do I have to give my user id root level access?

Just Joined!

Hemant

Kal check that you r a member of audio, vedio user group.

Just Joined!

Angry

I am in both groups. I tried adding myself to EVERY group, but then my ID started giving me messages about corruption. When I returned it to the original settings, I was able to use the ID, but the original problem was still there.

How do I go about creating a second admin ID? I'm thinking of starting with an admin ID and then slowly remove functionality until I can do what I need, without having to use a full-blown admin account.

Just Joined!
    I "think" there is only one admin possible, but your problems are really odd. What version of linspire?
    Did you create your user from Launch >>> Settings >>> Additional Options >>> User Manager?

Just Joined!
    I am using Linspire 5.0. I believe that I did use the User Manager to create my personal ID.

Just Joined!
    hmmm....
    Quote Originally Posted by Kal Durak
    I can't save anything in Mozilla Thunderbird.
    Are you trying to "Save as" your emails? What is the error message?

Quote Originally Posted by Kal Durak
    I can't even see my home directory from within it.
    Home directory meaning /home/user ? What are you expecting to see from Thunderbird?

Just Joined!
    I was trying to save an attachement, but Thunderbird would not allow me to change directory, nor would it allow me to save where it defaulted to /tmp. The message was that I did not have sufficient access.

Problem is that sometime it does allow it!

Just Joined!
    OIC, Well it sounds like some odd permission problem. My Thunderbird (as user) is working fine with all the default settings as installed from CNR. But I'm heading out of country today and can't figure this out at the moment. I'd recommend going to the Thunderbird forums and/or studying about file permissions.
    Good luck!