Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I installed freespire sw on my toshiba laptop, and it is working OK (can boot up) and create accounts. I like to connect to internet, and my laptop and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile Connecting to Internet

Hi,

I installed freespire sw on my toshiba laptop, and it is working OK (can boot up) and create accounts.

I like to connect to internet, and my laptop and internal ethernet port, and the freespire linux can see it.

I have a cable modem and I am connecting through my high speed ethernet port to web.

The setup is as follows:

Laptop ethernet port ----> Cable Modem ----> ISP

I have my IP address so in my web
    ----browser preferences
    -------Manual proxy config
    -----------HTTP Proxy : My IP address ---Port : What should be the PORT NUMBER

Need the correct HTTP Proxy My_IP_Address Port : Need_this value

I need help in corretly setting up my web browser preferences.

Thanks,

Why are you setting up a proxy? The simplest way is to select "direct connection to the internet".

Just Joined!

Exclamation Connecting to Internet

Hi,

I tried connecting to Web, with direct connection option, but it did not work.

-- In Network Setting and Profiles Menu of firefox browser:

Interface : etho......(my internal high speed ethernet modem)
    Config mode : DHCP
    IP Address : I have this
    Subnet Mask : I have this also
    Gateway : Do I need this (how can I find it)
    Client ID : Do I need this (how can I find it)
    Domain: Do I need this (how can I find it)

Please help in settings these values.

Thanks,

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can't find the "Network Setting and Profiles Menu" in my copy of Firefox. The cable modem might generate a website to allow you to configure it--is that what you are looking at?

You might want to step back a moment and see if the internet connection is working independent of any browser. From a command line (i.e. a terminal window) try to ping something
    Code:
    $ ping -c2 linuxforums.org
    $ ping -c2 goggle.com
    If those work, your network connection is good. If they don't work, try to ping by IP address:
    Code:
    $ ping -c2 72.14.207.99
    $ ping -c2 67.15.52.42
    If those work, but it did not work by name, then your DNS servers are incorrect (/etc/resolv.conf).
    If you can't ping anything in any way, then the network is down.

If you configure your network using DHCP (dynamic host configuration protocol) then you don't need to specify the IP, network, gateway or DNS servers because the DHCP will give them to you. Almost all ISPs provide dynamic IP addresses (not static), so you must use DHCP.

Just Joined!

Smile Connecting to Internet

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by KenJackson
    I can't find the "Network Setting and Profiles Menu" in my copy of Firefox. The cable modem might generate a website to allow you to configure it--is that what you are looking at?
    I have browser version 1.5.0.4
    Powered By Mozilla Firefox Technology
    It is part of freespire linux SW.
    In this browser under
    edit --> Preferences ---> Connection Settings ---> Direct Proxies to access the
    internet.

You might want to step back a moment and see if the internet connection is working independent of any browser.
    Connection is OK, because I am using my PC to send this email.

From a command line (i.e. a terminal window) try to ping something
    Code:
    $ ping -c2 goggle.com
    If those work, your network connection is good. If they don't work, try to ping by IP address:
    Code:
    $ ping -c2 72.14.207.99
    $ ping -c2 67.15.52.42
    While linux laptop plugged into Cable Modem, tried

ping www.google.com

ping: unknown host www.google.com

ping -c2 72.14.207.99
    connect: Network is unreachable

cat /etc/resolv.conf
    files is empty. Has a generic header Dynamic resolv.conf(5)

while connected through the cable to cable modem, Network Information menu, Statistics button I see sending and recieving packects
    Sent 62 and Recieved 26873.

If those work, but it did not work by name, then your DNS servers are incorrect (/etc/resolv.conf).
    If you configure your network using DHCP (dynamic host configuration protocol) then you don't need to specify the IP, network, gateway or DNS servers because the DHCP will give them to you. Almost all ISPs provide dynamic IP addresses (not static), so you must use DHCP.
    Do I need to set the browser preferences, to something specific.
    Under Network Settings ---> Network Settings and Profiles ---> DHCP

Quote Originally Posted by homexyz1
    Connection is OK, because I am using my PC to send this email.
    Quote Originally Posted by homexyz1
    ping -c2 72.14.207.99
    connect: Network is unreachable
    There is a fundamental conflict between these two statements. I can only assume that you mean the network connection to a different PC is OK.

Since pinging a host by IP fails, no amount of tweaking the browser settings is going to help. You must configure the network first.

Most Linux distributions have two ways to do that. The low-level way, the way I prefer, is to directly edit the files in /etc/sysconfig/. The second is to use the gui tools provided by the distribution. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with Freespire's gui setup tools, but they are probably very easy to learn and use. For example on Mandriva, you would click Start -> System -> Configure -> "Configure Your Computer", and eventually get to a network setup wizard where you could specify device "eth0" and protocol "DHCP" instead of static.

Just Joined!

Smile /etc/sysconfig is not installed with Freespire Version

Hi,

I looked for /etc/sysconfig dir. and it is not installed with freespire version.

Maybe I should installed another version of linux, which is easier to configure for internet. I have Toshiba Laptop A85-S107, which freespire worked fine (no HW driver needed), but internet does not work.

Which version of linux do you recommand for My Laptop.

Thanks,

I didn't mean to persuade you to abandon Freespire. I've been meaning to try it out, since they have lofty goals about changing the computing world with an easy-to-use OS, but I haven't done it yet.

Most of my experience is with Mandriva Linux, which I prefer.

DistroWatch is the site most people reference for information on different distributions. On the right side they rank the top 100 Linux distributions plus a few other OSes like the BSDs. Lately Ubuntu has been at the top of the chart and I see positive remarks about it elsewhere.

Just Joined!

Smile Installing Freespire - Installed Suse 10.1

Hi Everyone,

I like to thank everyone for their help.
    I downloaded and installed linux Suse 10.1 on my Toshiba laptop (A85-S107), and everything wroks, and I can connect to web. The Suse SW has been the best one install.

Thanks,

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by KenJackson View Post

You might want to step back a moment and see if the internet connection is working independent of any browser. From a command line (i.e. a terminal window) try to ping something
    Code:
    $ ping -c2 goggle.com
    Code:
    $ ping -c2 72.14.207.99
    $ ping -c2 67.15.52.42

my ISP providers don't allow me to get ip thro DHCP. In that case they give me all the details ip.gateway.dns... i put all these into my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file and put my dns into my /etc/resovl.conf file. it's was working fine for me. i use my laptop both office and home with different network. In office i got ip and all thro DHCP. In my home i have to put all static things. In my home network it's working fine with my windows desktop. What can i do for? How to get connect to internet?

mail me @ mani_bruters@yahoo.co.in

Thanks in advance,
    Mani......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast