Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have downloaded Foresight, and I am currently using it right now. It is great so far! But there are some things that are a little dissapointing, the biggest one ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Foresight anyone?

I have downloaded Foresight, and I am currently using it right now. It is great so far! But there are some things that are a little dissapointing, the biggest one is that the Foresight homepage, has NO forum. And I can't find any Foresight forums around anywhere either.

So my hope is that there is a handful (at least) of Foresight users herer who can help me with the problems I have.

My problems:

No sound, my sound card workes, my speakers are connected and I have all the codecs needed to play music. My volume is at full, both at my speakers and the speaker configurations.

I need 3D drivers for my nVidia card, asap!

Impossible to find packages? At least to install them. I noticed that Foresight came with no optional package manager, and it is rather hard to find packages, and to install them. How can this be done? And what additional package manager can I download?

The biggest problem; NO forum! A distro with such a nice look and feel, and a stable source needs a forum! I can't be the only one here who is using Foresight!

So, Foresight users, don't make me alone! Come forth and help me!

If we are enough people, let's clame our own sub-forum here, or at linuxquestions.org

Quote Originally Posted by sp-1
    I need 3D drivers for my nVidia card, asap!
    This tutorial should help you with that:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...d-drivers.html

Impossible to find packages? At least to install them. I noticed that Foresight came with no optional package manager, and it is rather hard to find packages, and to install them. How can this be done? And what additional package manager can I download?
    Well, to be perfectly honest, when you use an obscure distribution such as Foresight (based on an equally obscure distro rPath) you kind of have to expect to have trouble finding support for it. Is there any particularly special reason you chose it? There are lots of well-supported distributions out there that have good forums.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I chose it because of the codec support, flash and java. I have tried a lot of distros and this is the only one that has Java pre-installed. I don't know any other distros that has it.

When I choose a distro I look for simplicity, I try to avoid the command line unless there is simple commands. I used Freespire which also is out-of-the-box with anything you need, and it has a great package manager system in CNR.

Foresight also has Gnome 2.16, I recently used a Gentoo based distro, with KDE, and KDE does not fall under my taste. I need Gnome, cause the look and freedom turns out to be more vast, at least for me. I had big problems getting Gnome running on the Gentoo based distro. And upgrading from Gnome 2.14 hasn't been highlighted with other distros that has Gnome as the default desktop manager. What about the new SLED 10? I have that DVD around here somewhere...

Foresight has Gnome 2.16, codecs, flash and Java. If only it had nVidia drivers pre-installed like many of the newer distro has.

Though there doesn't seem to be a lot of documentation on the site, most of it deals with the package manager:
    http://www.foresightlinux.com/docs/

It sounds like you're having quite a few problems with it, just because it has java pre-installed. Maybe it would be easier to take another distro and focus on java instead? Just a thought.

I chose it because of the codec support, flash and java. I have tried a lot of distros and this is the only one that has Java pre-installed. I don't know any other distros that has it.
    I assume you mean the real Sun version of Java and not the GCJ stack? Vector Linux has this, along with pretty good multimedia support. I didn't try Flash on it. It's based off Slackware, which is a fairly well supported and popular distribution.

When I choose a distro I look for simplicity, I try to avoid the command line unless there is simple commands. I used Freespire which also is out-of-the-box with anything you need, and it has a great package manager system in CNR.
    So... why not use Freespire?

Foresight also has Gnome 2.16, I recently used a Gentoo based distro, with KDE, and KDE does not fall under my taste. I need Gnome, cause the look and freedom turns out to be more vast, at least for me. I had big problems getting Gnome running on the Gentoo based distro. And upgrading from Gnome 2.14 hasn't been highlighted with other distros that has Gnome as the default desktop manager. What about the new SLED 10? I have that DVD around here somewhere...
    SLED 10 uses Gnome. It has MP3 and Flash, but I don't know about the Java VM.

Foresight has Gnome 2.16, codecs, flash and Java. If only it had nVidia drivers pre-installed like many of the newer distro has.
    Freespire and Mepis will install the Nvidia driver for you, last I checked.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I also tried cAos, but it had a forum that died out in february 2006, and not the greatest of updates. Ok, I might as well try a new distro, or go back to the one I had before. But I'd like to use one of the NOT-common distros like SUSE, Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu or any of those.

I would love to find a easy guide somewhere on how to download and use Gnome 2.16

My previous distro gave me nothing but error messages here and there, it got too much.

So, it is simple, if I want a new distro I need: nVidia, java, flash and Gnome 2.16! It can't be too much to ask for, can it?

But I'd like to use one of the NOT-common distros like SUSE, Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu or any of those.

So, it is simple, if I want a new distro I need: nVidia, java, flash and Gnome 2.16! It can't be too much to ask for, can it?
    If you're dead set on using obscure and unpopular distros, you bet it can be too much to ask for. I think you need to take a step back and evaluate your priorities here. What do you want out of your OS? It seems you want usability, which is where the popular distros have their focus. You like Gnome? It's the default for Ubuntu. Need Nvidia drivers and flash? You can get them set up on any distribution, but it's easier to find how-tos if you use a more popular distro.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    I tried Foresight a while back and I don't think its the ideal distro for a Linux beginner or someone who isn't quite well versed with doing a lot of stuff on their own. Personally I think you should take the advice you have been given and use non obscure distros. Fedora Core, Suse, Mandriva and Ubuntu are quite popular so there is a lot of documentation out there and its easy to get help if you need it.

Suse has the official Sun java in its repositories (or on the discs if you get the commercial version or SLED). Mandriva also has java and its multimedia support tends to be better than Suse or Fedora Core because it doesn't ship crippled packages.

Just Joined!
    I understand that if I use obscure distro's, I might get problems getting help and all that. I found out when I used cAos and needed help.

I could go back to Sabayon, the distro I used before I tried Foresight.

But the problem with Sabayon, in spite of a big memberlist on their forum, is that it seems like they expect you to know a lot even before you come, and not just a lot about Sabayon, but a lot about Linux in general.

Some topics and threads are often answered with "Read the wiki", "Search the forum" and so on. Not so supportive I think.

And my problems are often unanswered there, or are often being replied to with a tone makes me feel like they are tired of my whining.

I had problems with Java and Gnome. I wanted them, and I won't call myself a cry baby, I mean, Linux is free of use, and if I want to use Gnome I should be able to. Why does it have to be so difficult for a guy who isn't good with certain things in Linux, and who just want to have his needs covered, when it IS possible?

Reading through a slackbased distro's forum, I read something that said to me: DO NOT use Gnome on Slack, use KDE.

If I could get a distro that has a good support forum that doesn't give up on you, and shows you the way with a nice tone and manner, I could stick to it.

I just want my Gnome and java... Why can't that be solved? So, let's say I go back to Sabayon, I come back here and ask three simple questions:

1. Can you help me go over to Gnome?
    2. Can you help me to get java up and going?
    3. Can you help me compile the SPCA5XX drivers?

About the spca5xx drivers; I always ran in to problems, always! About my kernel configs, and so on. I fixed those kernel problems, but still, the same error messages occured.

So, can we do so?

I could go back to Sabayon, the distro I used before I tried Foresight.
    Sabayon is based on Gentoo. Although Gentoo is fairly popular and has more support than cAos or Foresight, it assumes you know an awful lot about your system and Linux in general. I would not recommend you start with this. Look at the Top 5 distros in the table on DistroWatch:

http://www.distrowatch.com

Pick one of those. Not only will you be able to get more help quicker, you're less likely to *need* as much help in the long run.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast