Find the answer to your Linux question:
since freespire uses Debian packages, what are the (shells) commands i use in order to install something. say for example i have realplayer.deb (just an example).. 1.what commands do i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unhappy software installation

since freespire uses Debian packages, what are the (shells) commands i use in order to install something.

say for example i have realplayer.deb (just an example)..
    1.what commands do i use ?
    2.where i can get a good site that has all about install packages from commands for freespire ?

ps-im not going for CNR,ill rather used commands.Please don't post anything about CNR..much appreciated.
    There is no knowledge that is not power

Linux Engineer
    for deb use the dpkg command to install

dpkg -i whatever.deb

man dpkg for more info,

also, if your distro is not debian based, then look for an app called alien, which converts between all the main package management systems.

Just a question. Why use freespire if you are not interested in cnr, many other debian based distros work perfectly with apt?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by genesus
    for deb use the dpkg command to install

dpkg -i whatever.deb

man dpkg for more info,

also, if your distro is not debian based, then look for an app called alien, which converts between all the main package management systems.

Just a question. Why use freespire if you are not interested in cnr, many other debian based distros work perfectly with apt?
    because ive been hearing that CNR is not free.You have to buy your software.Also i cant get it to connect through proxy.
    There is no knowledge that is not power

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickv
    because ive been hearing that CNR is not free.You have to buy your software.Also i cant get it to connect through proxy.
    CNR used to be not free. But now it (basic CNR) is free as of a couple of months ago or so. If you want you find more info on the linspire or freespire sites.

I don't know about your proxy problem.
    -Cheers

Here's a great guide on how to disable CNR and use apt-get in Linspire - I assume it wouldn't be different for Freespire (but I may be wrong).

But now CNR Basic is free, fyi.
    10" Sony Vaio SRX99P 850MHz P3-M 256MB RAM 20GB HD : ArchLinux
    14" Dell Inspiron 1420N 2GHz Core2Duo 2GB RAM 160GB HD : Xubuntu

Linux Newbie
    Well freespire has its own apt repo now so you can officially apt! Still not a good idea to pull stuff in from debian using apt.