Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi and hello to everyone, I am in need of advice from you people...please give me some time in getting my problem resolved. 1. Actually, I have two computers, one ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unable to Access Linux partition on windows

hi and hello to everyone,

I am in need of advice from you people...please give me some time in getting my problem resolved.

1. Actually, I have two computers, one is having Windows Vista in it and the other one is having Red Hat Linux 9.0, I have a lot of data in the PC having Vista which I want to trasfer in the Linux one but when i attach both system's hard drives on a single motherboard. I am unable to see the other drive on the system. Please tell me how can i transfer windows data on the machine having Linux 9.0

2. I don't know to how to install Modem drivers on Linux machine. I have an internal modem card of Creative/Conexant. Please tell me how can i install the drivers for above mentioned modems in Linux 9.0.

any comments / advice in this regard shall be highly appreciated.

Cheez
    an eager person to work on linux.

Unable to Access Linux partition on windows
    (its title )
    you can't access Linux partitions in Windows. you can use third party package to do that. check this.....

1. Actually, I have two computers, one is having Windows Vista in it and the other one is having Red Hat Linux 9.0, I have a lot of data in the PC having Vista which I want to transfer in the Linux one but when i attach both system's hard drives on a single motherboard. I am unable to see the other drive on the system. Please tell me how can i transfer windows data on the machine having Linux 9.0
    plug-in both disks and boot up Linux. you can mount windows partitions through 'mount' command. you can read/write in FAT32 partitions. RH9 does NOT support NTFS. for reading/copying data from NTFS partitions, download and install ntfs patch from www.linux-ntfs.org
    patch file's name should be same as of RH9's kernel version. check kernel version through 'uname -a'

i dont know much about modem's driver installation. i hope someone will post about that soon.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Hi,

Linux cannot see ntfs filesystems, but can read fat32 filesystems, have a second partition formatted for fat32 and transfer the files you want in linux to it.

Then when you boot up linux, you can see whatever you put on the fat32 partition.

Kiwijor
    Thailand

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijor
    Linux cannot see ntfs filesystems,
    all distro, except RH/FC, can see NTFS partitions..... for RH/FC, you have to install ntfs patch.

casper

Just Joined!
    Thanks Kiwijor and Casper for your comments.

Actually, i have two partitions on Vista and both are formatted with NTFS
    well, Casper, could you please tell me where is that patch located exactly and after dowenloading, do i have to run that patch on Vista or Linux?

please give me your comments and also do tell me which modem either external or internal of which company will work on Linux ? i am really frustrated.

Thanks a lot for helping me out in resolving this dilemma.

i really appreciate it.

to accessing Linux Partitions from Windows, download fs-driver from this site and install it in Windows.

to access Windows from Linux, download ntfs pacth from www.linux-ntfs.org and install it in Linux.
    type this command in terminal

uname -a

this will show the kernel version. download ntfs patch having same name as of kernel version. OR post the output of 'uname -a' command. i will post the link of file.

casper

Just Joined!

any more ideas

quote "you can't access Linux partitions in Windows. you can use third party package to do that. check this....."

one big problem vista will not alow the installation of this software because its intended for xp or lower