Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi I am a newbie and I need to install Open Office 2 on XandrOS by the way...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

OPen Office 2

hi I am a newbie and I need to install Open Office 2 on XandrOS
    by the way

Hi there,

I would suggest to download the newest tarball of OpenOffice. Uncompressed the tarball and follow the instruction. There should be a README file.

I checked for myself. The tarball is composed of a serie of .rpm files. With this version, you need to change directory to ~/RPMS. Then just do

rpm -Uhv *.rpm

It should install all the updates necessary.

Cheers

Just Joined!

Unhappy no can do

since xandros is debian it prefers to install via deb extention. it installs but i cannot find the icons in applications

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick England
    hi I am a newbie and I need to install Open Office 2 on XandrOS
    by the way
    If you bought Xandros 4 Premium, Open Office 2.03 is on the second CD.

If you downloaded 3.x, it should be on Xandros Network. Open Xandros Network and search for open office.

/skyekeeper

Just Joined!
    If Rick had purchased Xandros, I'm sure he would've installed OpenOffice 2.03.

Most likely he installed the OCE. I'd have to say one of the simplest ways to get the new version is do download either a .deb or .rpm extension file for Open Office. Then go to Xandros Networks and "Install RPM File" or "Install DEB File."

I believe that should take care of it.

Cheers,

x

Just Joined!
    I havent tried the OCE in a while, and although I did pay for X4 premium , so i could get the tech support (oy!). I decided to try and install OO myself.

Like most i tried dloading the installs and going that route.

THEN i discovered the joy of XN.

If you have Xandros Networks available to you i STRONGLY suggest you use them..
    The command line prompts are something you will want to learn, but in the begining XN does take a LOT of the headache out of dependencies etc. out of installing SW.

Even if its not LISTED (which it should be) if you add a few repositiries to your search you will find LOTS of stuff just waiting for you

(Audacity and Pan for 2 things, open office for another)

hope this helps

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mindwave
    I havent tried the OCE in a while, and although I did pay for X4 premium , so i could get the tech support (oy!). I decided to try and install OO myself.

Like most i tried dloading the installs and going that route.

THEN i discovered the joy of XN.

If you have Xandros Networks available to you i STRONGLY suggest you use them..
    The command line prompts are something you will want to learn, but in the begining XN does take a LOT of the headache out of dependencies etc. out of installing SW.

Even if its not LISTED (which it should be) if you add a few repositiries to your search you will find LOTS of stuff just waiting for you

(Audacity and Pan for 2 things, open office for another)

hope this helps
    I agree. The Xandros Networks utility is absolutely great if you're looking for specific applications that you want installed correctly. It gets rid of a lot of terminal work as well.

If you can't get Open Office to work Rick, try AbiWord for a word processor. If you're looking for a spreadsheet program, I believe Gnumeric works even on Xandros, though I haven't tested it. As for database and presentation programs, I'm not sure of any way around it, but I'm sure you'll figure it out soon. =]

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick England
    since xandros is debian it prefers to install via deb extention. it installs but i cannot find the icons in applications
    Oh and I forgot to address this earlier; apologies for that. If you use Xandros Networks to install an RPM file, it converts it to DEB to use it.

MDR
    Just Joined!

Smile

This should work. I have used it a few times and it has worked every time. I actually retrieved it from another xandros forum.

1. using File Manager, right click on the tar.gz file, and selet "Extract All", with the file I ownlaed from Open office, this file created a directory called

OOO680_m3_native_packed-2_en-us.896B

2. using Xandros Networks, from the file minu, select "Install RPM file". Point the "look in" address at the "RPMS" directory which is inside the directory created in step 1 above. Note that Xandros Nstworks applies a filter to the view so that ou only see RPM files.

3. Select all RPM files except files referring to the following, which do not apply to Xandros:

freedesktop-menus
    mandriva-menus
    redhat-menus
    suse-menus
    gnome-integration.

4. Click on the "open" button. A new window will pop up, in which progress is displayed. Xandrow Networks builds DEB packages on the fly from the RPM packages, then installs them, all in about 10 or 15 minutes, be patient, and ignore the errors that stream by in Xandros.

5. when the install from step 4 is completed, go back to the file mune of Xandros Networks, and select "install DEB file". Again look in the RPMS directory (there will be a single DEB file mixed in with the RPM files). Note that the Xandros Networks applies a filter to the view so that you only see DEB files. Select the only file showing, which in my download was called: desktop-integrationopenoffice.org-debian-menus_2.0.03_all.deb

click on the "open" button. This installs the menus and desktop integration for Debian Linux distributions.

Check in the menu system for the new menus, which will show up as a submenu called "office" which contains links to the various open office 2.0 applications. Note tht Open Office 2.0 does not show up in the "Installed Applications" section of Xandros, I am guessing beause it wasn't installed from a Xandros supplied package.