Ok, like the subject says, I'm trying to get a touchscreen to work, but having no luck and I need some help.

The system I'm working with is LFS with kernel version 2.4.12.something. The touchscreen in question is from ELO (dont know the exact part number right now). Also, the x server being used is xfree86 not xorg if that makes any difference.

so, according to the instructions that came with the driver, I put the driver file (elographics_drv.o) into /usr/X11R6/lib/media/input

then I added a section for my touchscreen into the XF86conf file like this:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "touchscreen"
Driver "elographics"
Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS0"
Option "DeviceName" "touchscreen"
Option "MinX" "98"
Option "MinY" "43"
Option "MaxX" "940"
Option "MaxY" "925"
Option "ReportingMode" "Raw"
Option "Emulate3Buttons"
Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "On"
EndSection

and I add this line to the serverlayout section:

InputDevice "touchscreen"

Then I do "startx", but the touchscreen isn't responsive. The display works, but touching the screen makes no difference.

Next I check the xserver log file, but I see no errors. I guess my main questions are:

1. shouldn't I have to insmod or modprobe something??? I tried "modprobe elographics" but it didn't work.

2. when I do "cat /proc/bus/input/devices" the "handlers" line for other devices (mouse, keyboard, etc) have things filled in, but the handler line for the touchscreen device says "handler=" (no handler!) Who defines the handler for a device???

3. It seems to me that the elographics x driver works, and that the kernel is recognizing the touchscreen (since its listed under /proc/bus/input/devices) but for some reason the two aren't being tied together.

thanks in advance for any help!