Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Folks, Just tried installing Freespire 1.0.13 or whatever the latest version's called, from a TY burned @ 4X,on a newly cleaned & partitioned HD,but as soon as I enter ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Interesting Freespire install problem

Hi Folks,

Just tried installing Freespire 1.0.13 or whatever the latest version's called, from a TY burned @ 4X,on a newly cleaned & partitioned HD,but as soon as I enter the first character of a password(just a letter from the English alphabet,nothing fancy or esoteric)it immediately tells me it isn't a valid password!!!

Soooo,I thought ok,maybe it just does that until I've completed both p/w fields,but alas it doesn't,and the yellow 'incorrect password' remains,and therefore I can't progress any further.

Is this to be yet another linux distro to end up in the bin along with countless others.....before I've even managed to try it out properly I wonder,which would be a first,even for myself & linux

The same disc appears to work perfectly in 'live' mode,incidentally.

Linux Engineer
    Not a rogue space at the front of the password is there?
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris H
    Not a rogue space at the front of the password is there?

Hi Chris,and thanks for replying.

Y'know,I'm not 100% sure what the problem was,though I'm absolutely certain it was some sort of error by the user,ie yours truly

I'd previously set up my partitions with BootIt,or so I thought,but it seems that lay at the core of my problem,though of course I have to use it to restore my mbr to get back into windows after playing with every abortive linux installation.

Anyway,I finally managed to install Freespire,having previously read as much as possible regarding ati support etc.,'straight out of the box',only to find that it did nothing that SuSE didn't do,and it still doesn't supply any easy to set up TV-out facilities,(especially PAL)whereas,despite all of windows other shortcomings,I've never had a single problem setting it up on that platform.

Never mind,I needed a new coaster for my coffee cup,and will no doubt check the odd distro over the next few years to see what progress,if any,has been made to enable the average Joe & Jane public to plug'n'play,as it were,but if the last 10 years are any yardstick,I'm not too hopeful,and alas,neither's anyone else I know personally out here in the 'real' world,which is a great pity for linux,though of course it'll enable a few elitist geeks to maintain what they probably see as some sort of esoteric niche market,and continue to bore the pants off everyone they meet...though very rarely literally,if my observations are anything to go by.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    first character of a password(just a letter from the English alphabet,nothing fancy or esoteric)it immediately tells me it isn't a valid password!!!" it sounds like your entering the password at install type in the password then verify the password error message is gone.

ed

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by eshum
    first character of a password(just a letter from the English alphabet,nothing fancy or esoteric)it immediately tells me it isn't a valid password!!!" it sounds like your entering the password at install type in the password then verify the password error message is gone.

ed
    Hi Eshum,

I managed to install freespire,and in fact it's still installed,and gathering dust on one of my drives,as it still doesn't appear to do the very 1st thing I'm interested in setting up.

ie:configuring my graphics card,a 9800 pro 128,to produce a useable tv-out signal to a PAL widescreen TV via s-video,as win XP does using omega drivers.

It may simply be the fact that this particular card is a couple of years old,and only just scrapes into compatibility with the latest linux driver,according to the ati website,but I understood,maybe wrongly,that linux,being a free distro, didn't expect us to all rush out & buy the latest & greatest hardware,in order for it to work properly,as vista obviously does.

So unfortunately for the time being,my occasional dabble with linux will simply be the odd firefox surfing session,when I fancy a change of interface from windo$e and very little else.