Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to do LFS in the holidays- but I'm wondering: What if I like my LFS OS and I want to install it to another machine? Can it be ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Can you create an installer with Linux From Scratch?

I want to do LFS in the holidays- but I'm wondering:

What if I like my LFS OS and I want to install it to another machine? Can it be done without rewriting it?

Thanks.

LFS is a fun project, so I wish you luck with that!

To install it on another machine -- you could try making an image of the installation, and copying this to the other machine. Does that sound like it would work?
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Linux Newbie
    Oh, I'm not quite sure how LFS works- I haven't had time to investigate it as there isn't much point starting until the holidays.

I thought that you compile the OS step by step, but what you said means that you actually build an OS installer?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    No, you were right. Building LFS involves building the operating system step-by-step, not building an installer.

What I was suggesting was to make an image of the LFS partition after you've installed it. Then you could make a copy of this on an empty partition on another machine, and it should work just like the original.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Quote Originally Posted by Wifi_is_evil
    Oh, I'm not quite sure how LFS works- I haven't had time to investigate it as there isn't much point starting until the holidays.

I thought that you compile the OS step by step, but what you said means that you actually build an OS installer?
    To the best of my knowledge the whole point of Linux From Scratch is that you install it... from scratch. If you get a system set up the way you want you might be able to create a ghost image of some sort and plant that cloned image onto a new computer... but that would negate the point of building Linux from scratch. Also, unless your target machine has identical hardware (such as the same model of a Dell or HP) then you're going to have to do some manual changes to the setup anyway.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    thanks guys.