Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dell has these computers available with no OS, they call them their Optiplex N series and it comes with FreeDOS included in the box, ready to install. Can I buy ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    avc

Question Dell open source computers with No OS, can I load Mepis?

Dell has these computers available with no OS, they call them their Optiplex N series and it comes with FreeDOS included in the box, ready to install.

Can I buy one of these computers from Dell with No OS and load MEPIS on it with this Free DOS loader they include?

Just Joined!
    FreeDOS is just another OS. It's the open-source, mostly binary-compatible version.

That would just mean you wipe the hard-drive and install your favorite distribution on there, instead of using FreeDOS. If you want to keep it... Hmmm... Put another hard-drive and install on that, or get the latest version of FreeDOS and install it on another partition on the same drive.

IOW, use either or both, but it'd be better to install FreeDOS *then* Linux, to take over the MBR. That'll allow you to boot FreeDOS from grub/lilo.

I have three N series computers from Dell. One runs CentOS, and the other two, Slackware 10.2 and 11. The FreeDos disk comes seperately IF you want to install it. Otherwise, just partition and format the unformatted hard drive and install Linux. You shouldn't run into any problems.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

avc

Talking

OK guys, assume you're dealing with a Windows idiot that wants to switch, someone that has used DOS in the past (I'm 47 years old) but does not know anything at all when it comes to loading Mepis or any other Linux OS on one of these "Dell Open Source Computers" with no OS.

Give us Windows idiots a process to follow taking into consideration that I have the Dell Box with the FREE DOS disk and a Simply Mepis CD with Linux on it.

How do I get going here?

I need a step by step (I'm a Windows dummy)

Mepis offers you a chance to format and partition your hard drive during install with the QTparted partitioning utility. If you've ever used Partition Magic for Windows, it's very similar. If you haven't, just take your time and really look over what you are doing before committing to any partitioning scheme. Also, understand that it might take a few attempts at installing before you get it just the way you want it. Everything you'll ever need to know about how to partition, format and install Mepis can be found here. So when you feel like you're ready, open the cd tray, insert the Mepis CD, boot it up and find and run the install utility. The install is very intuitive and easy to follow. Take your time with it and I'm sure you'll be sucessful.

By the way, you're in the good hands of a 49 year old. Would I steer you wrong?
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 11-30-2006 at 04:04 AM.

Linux Newbie
    put the linux disk in the cd drive and boot from it, click next a few times, reboot....

avc

Talking

Dan and Dean, we know you guys would never give bad advice to a new Linux user!

Thanks guys, you make it sound like an idiot can do this!

Give me one good reason to partition the hard drive Dan, I've never wanted to do it, maybe if you give me the pros and cons I will try one day!

Quote Originally Posted by avc
    Give me one good reason to partition the hard drive Dan, I've never wanted to do it, maybe if you give me the pros and cons I will try one day!
    Because Linux is not Windows.

With Windows, you make one NTFS or Fat32 partition and install. With Linux, you should at least create a root partition and a swap partition as per the instructions I linked for you. A separate partition for /home is a very good idea for when you need to re-install or upgrade. It will allow you keep your valuable files there safe from being overwritten and lost.

Of course, if it isn't worth it to you to invest in the addition five minutes it may take to do it right, then format the whole drive as ext3 and proceed with the install...

avc

Talking

Thanks Dan, that's all the reason I need, I will follow through and refer back to this thread when I'm installing Mepis on the new box!

Remember, you must have a lot of patience when dealing with Windows Idiots!

Thanks for taking the time to educate others!

PS: Bill Gates hates you!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by avc
    OK guys, assume you're dealing with a Windows idiot that wants to switch, someone that has used DOS in the past (I'm 47 years old) but does not know anything at all when it comes to loading Mepis or any other Linux OS on one of these "Dell Open Source Computers" with no OS.

Give us Windows idiots a process to follow taking into consideration that I have the Dell Box with the FREE DOS disk and a Simply Mepis CD with Linux on it.

How do I get going here?

I need a step by step (I'm a Windows dummy)
    Hey, kid, (OK, so I'm 66) If you haven't done so already, you'll probably need to set your BIOS to boot from your CD drive. This is so that your CD will boot up, not your current OS (operating system)

Hope this helps.