Find the answer to your Linux question:
I had been using Xandros successfully for more than a year (version 3.0 deluxe). It's the only OS on my PC, which I normally leave on all the time. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Xandros No Longer Boots

I had been using Xandros successfully for more than a year (version 3.0 deluxe). It's the only OS on my PC, which I normally leave on all the time. I came home one evening and the the screen was blank. I ended up rebooting. It begins successfully loading files, then the following messages appear:

sh: error opening /proc/software_suspend/do_resume: No such file or directory

INIT: version 2.86 booting

After that it hangs indefinitely.

Any ideas on what causes this and how to get around it? I'm hoping it's not an issue with the hard drive.

Thanks

Let me guess: your PC stopped booting a few days after the one-year of paid support expired.

Anyway... before the boot process hangs, do you get to any kind of boot loader (grub?) menu where you have the option to drop to something called runlevel 1, runlevel S, or single-user mode?

If so, you can run fsck -A from there to try to identify (and maybe fix) potential problems with your hard drive.

Just Joined!
    I don't have GRUB, but something propietary to Xandros. There is a Configure mode, which displays all the files being loaded. There are also instructions in the users manual to override the booting process with the installation disc, but that isn't working.

Fortunately I didn't purchase a service package!

Maybe you'll have a better time than I did, but I wasn't able to find anything on Xandros' support site that explained how to get to single-user mode. Once you get there, you can run fsck as I mentioned. (That'd be the first step in troubleshooting this; if you're lucky, it'll be the only.)

In a real jam you could get the knoppix live cd, boot with that, and run fsck on each of your disk partitions from that environment.

Just Joined!

Xadros

Hello Bens

Xadros uses to lilo bootloader.

Boot with the install CD, and press the space bar when prompted, to access the trouble shooting screen.

On the trouble shooting screen:

Choose Restore Xadros

Answer these questions it ask, on the next few screens, and it will fix the bootloader. Removed the CD and reboot. Your data and OS will still be there.

Hope this helps.

Just Joined!

xandros

Quote Originally Posted by BenS
    I had been using Xandros successfully for more than a year (version 3.0 deluxe). It's the only OS on my PC, which I normally leave on all the time. I came home one evening and the the screen was blank. I ended up rebooting. It begins successfully loading files, then the following messages appear:

sh: error opening /proc/software_suspend/do_resume: No such file or directory

INIT: version 2.86 booting

After that it hangs indefinitely.

Any ideas on what causes this and how to get around it? I'm hoping it's not an issue with the hard drive.

Thanks
    Hello Bens

Xandros uses the lilo bootloader.

Boot with the install CD, and press the space bar when prompted, to access the trouble shooting screen.

Choose Restore Xandros

Answer these questions it ask, and it will fix the bootloader. Removed the CD and reboot. Your data and OS will still be there.

Hope this helps.