Find the answer to your Linux question:
How do you tell which program is locking a device? I'm trying to run a program to record the input from my sound card, but the system tellms me 'OSS ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Another Newbie Question

How do you tell which program is locking a device? I'm trying to run a program to record the input from my sound card, but the system tellms me 'OSS device "/dev/dsp" is already in use by another program' Problem is that I have no clue what that 'other program is'

How do I find out?

I have had the same problem in the past! Usually it is caused because Lsongs is still open. When you click the [x] in the upper right hand corner of the window, that just minimizes the window and Lsongs is docked in the panel. You have to right click the Lsongs icon in the panel and select close to close Lsongs.

If this is not the case, you may have an open application that is using the device. Click the Launch button in the panel, and a menu will pop up. Select Run programs, and Utilities, and then KDE System Guard. Select the Process Table tab and look for any process that is using the sound card. Look for any process that is owned by you Other than that, I am just as stumped as you!.