Find the answer to your Linux question:
My hard drive died the other day, so I've ordered a new one. In the meantime I can boot my Mepis CD and work off of that. But once the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Is it possible to unmount a live CD?

My hard drive died the other day, so I've ordered a new one. In the meantime I can boot my Mepis CD and work off of that. But once the new hard drive arrives, I'll want to do a net-install of Debian. The problem is that I need to burn the net-install CD, but my Mepis CD is occupying the drive.

Is there a way to load everything I need onto the RAM disk and unmount the live CD so I can use the drive to burn the Debian ISO? Maybe a chroot trick?
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

you might take a look at http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12867 I haven't tried it though
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Linux Newbie
    Often the OS can be loaded into memory and then you can use the cd drive. GRML has the toram boot time option I think it is.

Linux Guru
    Yeah you can usually use the 'toram' or 'copy2ram' boot option. If you have a copy of a smaller distro laying about that might be better, particularly if you don't have swap space. You'll need somewhere to store the image for the disc. Also remember to select burn-on-the-fly so it doesn't try to create another image or anything crazy like that.

i used slax onetime and needed the cd-rom and was able to unmount it with no problems not sure about mepis.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

you may find www.puppylinux.org useful. it runs in livecd mode, and you can eject the cd after bootup. Then, burn the iso to a cd with burning apps found in puppylinux distro, and away you go!

Right, but to do that, I need to have a PuppyLinux CD first. Meaning I'd have to burn one. Meaning I'd have to unmount my Mepis CD to put a blank CD in the drive. Meaning I may as well burn the Debian ISO while the Mepis disc is out.

I'll check out those boot options for loading to RAM after I get home. If all goes well, maybe I'll look at putting Puppy on a USB flash drive, just in case.

It looks like Mepis doesn't support a "toram" or "copy2ram" option; at least, it didn't have any effect for me. And trying to unmount the CD gives me an "Invalid Argument" error.

So I guess what I'll do is use my fiancee's computer to burn the disc, and then find myself a live distro that does support copy2ram or something similar, and keep that as my rescue disk.