Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all I have just installed freespire on primary part hda1 & I was having opensuse 10.2 on other primay part. but when i rebooted it the grub is gone ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile Hemant

Hi all

I have just installed freespire on primary part hda1 & I was having opensuse 10.2 on other primay part. but when i rebooted it the grub is gone also the freespire is not starting & when I do clt+alt+F2 it says cannot mount root on hda1 & kernel panic.

so what should I do know to install the grub & repair the freespire installation.

looking forward to replies.

Hemant

Okay, let me just clarify. Grub isn't working? How is it that you are booting into any OS?

What is the error message that accompanies the kernel panic?

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!

Smile Hemant

Acutally i had already installed 0pen suse 10.2 on primary partition hda2 & then I tried installing freespire on hda1 but after installing when i restarted the suse grub loader is gone & when i started freespire it just gave me error message that cannot mount root on hda1( its not exact as i am telling but similar) & further it says that kernel panic.

I also want to mention that while i was partitioning the hard disk i kept my first partition that is hda1 unformatted & was in fat format because i was planning to install windows on this partition but i have changed my mind & installed freespire, so i think might me this problem that led to this error.

secondly i further formatted my full hard disk the second time & tried installing free spire again & while installation option i gave the first option that install it on my full hard disk but the install failed & agian gave the same messages.

Hemant

What is that error message?

Just to clarify - as of right now, you have nothing on your HD but a broken Freespire install? Are you by chance trying to install their new alpha?

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!

Smile Hemant

Hi I think you r right, might be freespire has not installed properly.

No I will not install the beta release of free spire I have switched to SLED 9 & its working fine on my computer.

Have you used Suse 10.1 RC1 ? is it stable. Because my hardware do no work porperly & becomes slow in opensuse 10.2 & its working fine on SLED 9.

Which operating sysem do you prefer ?

Hemant