Find the answer to your Linux question:
In a linux world of many many similar disros with many nerds like myself who constantly switch back and forth between distros, it seems that there never is a superior ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

need for a new distro

In a linux world of many many similar disros with many nerds like myself who constantly switch back and forth between distros, it seems that there never is a superior distro for laptops. While there are packages out there (gLaptop) that are specifically made for laptops, no distros. For the first time since I have known the wonder that is Linux, I am stuck on a laptop wishing for a Knoppix-esque live cd that I can run on a windows laptop (its not my laptop, i cant install a distro) that will fluidly allow for battery saving processes as well as allowing for wireless technology to be seamlessly used. Why has an attempt at this not come out?

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    I think Mandriva has many laptop features on the live cd and I am sure Ubuntu does as well. I have run both as live discs on my laptop when I demonstrating various distros to some other Linux users.

I recently discovered PCLinuxOS. It does everything straight out the box with an absolute minimum of tinkering and recognised my wireless network instantly. Literally, all I needed to do was install libdvdcss2 from the supplied Synaptic repository for DVD playback and I was in buisness. PCLOS is a live CD with a HD install option and, after a long time of distro-gluttony, I know which one works best for my needs.

I won't change distros now.

Paul
    Korean food is great - it's the dog's bollocks!
    Linux user number 406572.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rossi46
    I recently discovered PCLinuxOS. It does everything straight out the box with an absolute minimum of tinkering and recognised my wireless network instantly. Literally, all I needed to do was install libdvdcss2 from the supplied Synaptic repository for DVD playback and I was in buisness. PCLOS is a live CD with a HD install option and, after a long time of distro-gluttony, I know which one works best for my needs.

I won't change distros now.

Paul
    I was just tinkering with PCLOS yesterday and it was close, but didnt work straight out of the box for the wireless on the laptop. However, what I was referring to was a distro made FOR laptops, not useable OP laptops. This would be a way to beat windows in a corner of the market that is wide open for the taking, as I see it. Nobody likes dealing with all the crap windows forces you to wait on, and certainly not people with laptops. Showing people flexibility and control on an essential such as laptops these days could be a great eye-opener for a windows convert.

Per the poster above this one, Ive used mandria and ubuntu live cds, and while they do have elements that make them attractive live cds to use on a laptop, they arent built around the laptop. But you make a good point, since those two were dual booting on my last laptop.

Either way, whether it is a spin off of PCLOS or Mandriva, I think an attractive distro to the public would be a a distro built for the laptop that works well with power management, and detects odd hardware common to laptops but not desktops.

It all depends on which wireless LAN card your laptop has built-in. Some might be detected and others not. That is, unfortunately, still a bit of a problem with Linux, I like to call it a lag because sooner or later this won't be a problem anymore.

If only the hardware manufacturers actually made exclusive Linux drivers we would not have had these setbacks in the first place. More and more people are all of a sudden trying out Linux because it IS now ready for the desktop and is becoming increasingly easier as time passes. In 2 weeks I convinced two people in my little chat room to try out Linux (my chat room has an average of 10-15 users) and both like it. One of them is using it more often than Windows whereas the other is trying to find his feet.

I think that people just get 'scared away' when they encounter their first little problem in Linux.

Back to topic:
    Yes, I agree. A distribution or several distributions targeting the laptop department would be very great and in fact, I believe it will help with wireless cards as most recent laptops (if not all) have wireless cards built in.

I haven't tried it yet, but it seems like the people at Linux Mint did great effort to better support laptops in their latest version (2.1, out december 20) of Linux Mint.

Check out the release notes, in which they claim to "support about 40 different wireless card models".
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    that's a good thing that linux mint (basically a knock off of ubuntu, right?) is making strides to allow for incorporation of wireless cards. Potentially, it could be a useful starting point for making a distro which is based around laptops. As much as I like Ubuntu, seems like it takes up a lot of battery power as it is not a lightweight distro. Might want a lightweight to save battery power.