Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, everyone! How's it going? Alright, so this is a pretty vague question... Has anyone heard of a live boot CD called Astrolinux? Its supposed to have loads of cool ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cool Astrolinux

Hi, everyone!
    How's it going?

Alright, so this is a pretty vague question... Has anyone heard of a live boot CD called Astrolinux? Its supposed to have loads of cool astronomical analysis type programs on it. Most notably, Iraf and Midas.
    Thing is, I want to get it, but I've only been able to find dodgy download sites so far. Nothing official, no option of purchase. I found one link that seemed semi decent, and tried that, but it turned out to be a disaster
    After 30 odd hours of dial-up downloading, my server reconnected and cut off the download. Bummer!
    I'm planning to try it on a broad-band machine in an internet cafe tomorrow, but wondering if its worth the pain...

If you ever used it or have any comments, feel free to share

Laters, guys!

oz
    forum.guy
    Not sure they'll work, but try these links:

http://hacobdd.bagn.obs-mip.fr/Astro-Linux/

http://www.obs-psr.com/astrolinux/as.../intro_en.html

...or you could download one of the torrents that are available. Just do a Google search for "astrolinux torrent".
    oz

Just Joined!

Talking It Worked!

Thanks heaps, Ozar!

I did it this morning, from the French site. Everything went perfect, I can now run it and all. It's so cool! Really, it's worth the hour of broad band download and all the effort...
    Thanks for answering- I appreciate it.

And all other astronomers out there: get Astrolinux- make life easy!