Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey pro today is my first day ever as a linux user so i choosed to try small dist of linux dsl any way after all the HD installation is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

problems with damn small linux

hey pro
    today is my first day ever as a linux user

so i choosed to try small dist of linux dsl

any way after all the HD installation is done i hade few problems

1- i can't read arabic or write

2- i don't know the type of my linux you know as when i tried to download opera it asks me which dist i use i couldn't tell coz i don't know
    http://www.opera.com/download/

3- i want a good torrent client that works well with my dsl plz

4- the procedure or the codes of how to install software

thanks after all

P.S
    i've tried http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
    but the forum after registering tells me that i don't have the permission to post

so i'm sorry for the disturbance
    i wish some one could help me with that
    so,,, thank you

1- i can't read arabic or write
    execute this in terminal/konsole
    Code:
     setxkbmap ara
    check if Arabic works or not. in case, it doesn't, google for Arabic fonts and install it.
    2- i don't know the type of my linux you know as when i tried to download opera it asks me which dist i use i couldn't tell coz i don't know
    http://www.opera.com/download/
    download Other Static/Deb pacakge and install it through dpkg command
    Code:
    dpkg -i <oprea_package>
    3- i want a good torrent client that works well with my dsl plz
    downlad and install Bittorrent .deb package from here.
    4- the procedure or the codes of how to install software
    check here !

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

How to install "make" and "apt-get" without internet connection???

This is my first post and I hope somebody can help me please...

I just installed DSL from CD onto the harddrive. It works fine. However it the commands apt-get and make don't exist.

I have an old Toshiba Satellite Pro 440 Laptop
    133MHz 1.3Gb CD-ROM USB !!! No Internet Connection!!

I've downloaded apt-get on my other windows-based compter with internet connection and tried to install on DSL-Laptop but I can't because the make command doesn't exist.

How can I install the "make" program/command without internet connection.

PS: The aim of all this is to eventually install the programs "feh" and "unclutter" so I can turn this old lappy into a picture frame one day... one beautifull day.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    On the dsl menu choose system system stats..this will show you the version.

I downloaded Opera and bittorrent and many other .dsl extensions from the dsl repository. go here

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/...mnsmall/mydsl/

click network and find torrents and opera browser

once downloaded I opened emilfm and clicked the program I wanted to install and then clicked the Mydsl button in the center...it installed the program.

or you can use the my dsl icon on the desktop..if you are connected then it will list available packages..and download them

.you can also install via synaptic which is a gui for aptget that installs debian packages from debian...I would be very carefull with synaptic as dsl is a small debian type distro and NOT all .deb packages will work...check the .dsl repository first to see if what you need is available.

you can get other software to work on dsl but you have to manually install it, which can be problematic from my perspective.

the gqview.dsl extension is a pic viewer but has the option to run a looping fullscreen slideshow of pics from a directory and seems to hide the pointer so may work as the means of turning an old laptop into a pictureframe. it can also use the imagemagick extension to edit pics. Oh and apt-get and synaptic are available in the repository

the dsl forums are closed now, I am not sure for how long. it is likely they were being heavily abused by nasty web thugs or something. I am hopefull they will again open

Just Joined!
    Hello,

It might be a little late, but I found this on the internet, looking for just the same tools:

http://www.frontiernet.net/~pictureframe/#mozTocId65936

There you will find pre packaged feh and unclutter.

Good luck!

//magnus