Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Don't know if this is the proper place for this thread, But here it is. I'd like to have a survey of how long everyone has been running mepis without ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    fvs
    Linux Newbie

How good is Mepis?

Don't know if this is the proper place for this thread, But here it is.
    I'd like to have a survey of how long everyone has been running mepis without having major problems and longest without rebooting?

Just Joined!

Smile

Hello fvs:
    Have been running Mepis since May 2006 with no problems. About reboots, I don't remember the need, but can't swear to that. I like the apt-get for new programs. Also tar.gz files are easily installed using ark. KPackage also works well on .deb files (Debian). Good selection of programs on the DVD.
    The best Linux I've had so far for my use. Have used Mandrake & RedHat in the past.

Just Joined!
    First of all Mepis takes a very short time to install. About 20 minutes on my computer at most. Tons of things work right off the bat(like my printer and certain flashplayers). If you try Mepis get the 6.0 version. Youcan use a program called Automatix2 and it will configure you computer really fast and you wont have to use the command line. This is the program that Ubuntu uses that everyone is going crazy for. Just type Automatix2 and search the site for the download for mepis 6. Follow the easy instructions and your set. When I used Fedora core 5 it took me hours of command line crap just to get windows media videos and flashplayers to work. I would try Mepis or Ubuntu if your new to Linux. They are really easy to use. I have been using Mepis for about 6 months without problems. I love the way it looks and how easy it is to use. I love the fact it is really quick to install. It takes about 2 hours to install Suse 10.1.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    That question is totally subjective. People use their computers for different things and have different specs. The best way to find out how well it will work for you is to actually try it.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

fvs
    Linux Newbie

Wink

Thanks to all that replied.

Linux Newbie
    How good? As bryansmith said it's subjective.

If you like kde and the apt way of handling packages this is one fine distro. The shift to the ubuntu repositories has made the latest Mepis much more stable for new users. The live/install cd is one of the finest in all of linuxdom. The installer in particular is very user friendly.

All in my subjective opinion of course

I've had Mepis installed since 3.3.1 version.

Reboots? Only for kernel updates and power outages. Honest.
    WARNING: I may be telling you more than I know !

Just Joined!
    Yes, I'd agree, Mepis 6.0 is a fine distro, I used it on my production machine for most of last year, it has an intuitive installer, KDE based, apt-get for package management, with Synaptic as a front end for GUI users. By default Mepis 6.0 loads an i386 kernel at installation, so anyone with using i686 or K7 class processors will probably want to load a different kernel after installation. My only criticism of Mepis was printer management, try as I might I could not get a Linux printer (a Brother laser) to connect via USB2, in the end, I needed to connect the printer via the parallel port. Your (printer) mileage of course may be completely different, but a great distro especially for newcomers to Linux.

Thumbs up Mepis

Shortly, Mepis is the best OS I've ever seen. I had no problems with any hardware parts neither on PentiumIII nor on PentiumIV. It's fast and stable, and has a beautiful design. It's focused on important things for a common desktop PC user. It's faster than WinXP, and more reliable. Ideal for office use. The most of programs wich caused problems with Suse, works just like that on Mepis.
    It's easy for newbies. I think, I shall never change distro anymore !
    minthaka
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

I have been using Linux for all most ten years now, used many different distros, none are as good as Mepis. Easy install, easy to use, just plain works.
    I have 4 machines, three have 3.4 and one has Beta 4 running. The main machine is up 24/7.
    Research, research, research before you walk the plank.
    Registered Linux User #398829

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by minthaka
    Shortly, Mepis is the best OS I've ever seen. I had no problems with any hardware parts neither on PentiumIII nor on PentiumIV. It's fast and stable, and has a beautiful design. It's focused on important things for a common desktop PC user. It's faster than WinXP, and more reliable. Ideal for office use. The most of programs wich caused problems with Suse, works just like that on Mepis.
    minthaka
    I am currently using Ubuntu edgy 6.10 and it is a gnome desktop, working a bit faster than winXP. But I am not sure that a KDE like mepis will remain, after the user installs all the packages, as fast as it seems just after installation.
    As to "important things for a common desktop PC user", I am eager to get more clarification.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast