Find the answer to your Linux question:
In using the supplied "printer setup wirzad" in KDE, my printers will not do a test print. The system recognized the HP laserjet1000 and the Alps MD2010, yet no results. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cannot print

In using the supplied "printer setup wirzad" in KDE, my printers will not do a test print.
    The system recognized the HP laserjet1000 and the Alps MD2010, yet no results.
    This is a nice distro....I need to print...HELP!

you need to install foo2zjs for the hp (can be installed with sudo apt-get install foo2zjs)
    For the other, you need ppmtomd
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Just Joined!

Printer made working under KDE through BIOS setting

Hello,

After I started playing with Linux live-CD's and installeded them, it took me almost half a year before I found out why under KDE I could not get my printer (OKI ML380) working. This despite that mostly the correct driver was found (through CUPS).

When I changed, in the BIOS-setting, the parallel-port to normal, from ECC and/or ECP (or something like that), my printer now works with most Linux-versions.

Remarkebly PCLinuxOS was the only distro, at which under KDE my printer worked without problems (after using the distro's own Control Center!!). And some Gnome distro's also worked for my printer with the old BIOS-settings.

Best Regards
    Joepi

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Printer made working under KDE through BIOS setting (addition)

Hello again,

In addition to my reply, to inspect and try the BIOS-setting for the parallel port (using KDE), I additionally advise you not to rely only on printing a test page from the printer-setup-program.
    Just install the printer driver (e.g. through CUPS), end the installation program (with or without the test page), start a text-editing program, and then test if the printer functions correctly.

I think to have experienced that the test-page in the printer-setup-program, delivers rubbish, where a print-out from a word-processor gives a good result.

Best Regards
    Joepi