Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi.. I usually use windows xp home, but one day something bad happened and now windows xp won't load. I always get the error that "hal.dll" is missing or corrupt ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Slax Help -- Can't modify windows partition on C Drive.

Hi..

I usually use windows xp home, but one day something bad happened and now windows xp won't load. I always get the error that "hal.dll" is missing or corrupt and windows can not load.

So, i tried to use my windows xp CD to go into recovery, where i did expand to try to get the hal.dll file off of my CD, it sucesfully replaced it from the cd, but that didn't change the fact that windows xp would not load up.

So, I put this linux operating system called "slax" on my flash memory card with the hope that I would be able to delete the old hal.dll and put a new one that i downloaded from the internet. So, in this operating system my hard drive shows up as 3.. i guess 1 for each partition -- for permissions, two of them (that ive never seen in windows xp) have the permission "view and modify content" but the one that C drive would be in windows xp can only be "view" for permission. But I need to be able to modify, so i can delete the hal.dll file.

So, I want to be able to go to c:\windows\system32 folder on my hard drive, and replace the hal.dll file with one that I downloaded from the internet, but in slax, Out of my 3 hard drive partitions, this partition is the only one that I can not modify. If i go to permissions and try to change the permissions to "view and modify" i get an error that says "error-konqueror" "could not change permissions for /mnt/sda2." If i try to do the same except check the little box that says "apply changes to all subfolders and their content" it starts to do it but after about 10 seconds it says "stalled" and it stays at 0% percent.

So, How do i make it so i can change the content in that drive on Slax?
    Thanks

if your C: drive is in NTFS format, you can't write in it. Linux doesn't have NTFS write access. you can write in NTFS drives through GParted LiveCD coz it has NTFS write access too BUT you should know Linux Commands to do that. if you are familiar with mounting, copy and delete commands then its easy through GParted. i dont know if any other LiveCD has NTFS write access by default.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    oh, so even if i pasted the new hal.dll there with linux it wouldnt be in the same fourmat that windows xp reads?

this is my first time ever using linux... i don't really like it. i want windows xp back

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    you can't even paste file if C: drive is in NTFS format.
    open terminal/konsole and execute this
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    output of this command will tell you the format of your drives. if its NTFS then you can't write.
    this is my first time ever using linux... i don't really like it. i want windows xp back
    Windows....... re-install is the only option OR try Windows Forums.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Dude - Seriously - This is an easy thing to fix.

Boot off your 'Doze CD - and just go about it as if you are going to re-install windows - hit enter at the start to install windows, go through all the crap ETC, untill it scans for previous versions of windows - then it'll ask you if you want to install over it, or REPAIR.

Funny enough, you want to repair it - do this.

Problem solved!

Ryn.