Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Okay so I am in root and I want to revert back to old xorg config. I screwed up my system pretty bad and somehow Xorg.0.log is gone. I do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

can't modifiy xorg log?

Okay so I am in root and I want to revert back to old xorg config. I screwed up my system pretty bad and somehow Xorg.0.log is gone. I do have Xorg.0.log.old though, and that'll do.

So I try mv Xorg.0.log.old Xorg.0.log while in the directory where it is kept and it says:

Input/Output error.

.. what?

Does it need this old xorg log?

All I wanted was to upgrade Xfce 4.2.4 to 4.40 and it wouldn't init Dbus even though I did everything right. When I went to reinstall my OS it screwed up somehow and ended up ruining my system instead of whiping it. Then my cd drive and usb disk blew up. Talk about bad luck. Please don't laugh at my noobness :P

Xorg,0.log is just a log file. nothing will change if edit/delete/create it.
    xorg.conf file handle and controll GUI. check if you have back up copy of it.
    Code:
    ls /etc/X11

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Newbie
    I renamed the conf.old file to conf and tried to start X:

"Cannot open log file /var/log/Xorg.0.log"

I don't HAVE that file.

I'd rebuild my OS from a Myah OS install disc but I don't have a cd drive or slot or usb. Sorta screwed!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    which distribution do you have?
    in Fedora/RedHat, boot up in Command Line Mode, log in as root and execute 'system-config-display' to generate new xorg.conf file.

Casper

Linux Newbie
    Myah os. It is far less popular than it deserves to be which probably makes it difficult for you to help. That command didn't work.

I screwed up my box so that somehow now my main partition has no free space. Because of that kde would only start from cli as root. When I rebooted even that stopped working.

I'd wipe it but I don't have a cd drive to reinstall.

hi !

a quick Google show that Myah OS is slackware based. i am not familiar ( installed only once ) with slackware. i would suggest you to start a New Thread in Slackware Forum and mention that Myah OS is Slackware based.
    i am sure that you will get execellent suggestions there.

Casper

Why not as root, do this:
    Code:
    touch /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    and then try to startx. If it still can't open it, then do this:
    Code:
    chmod -R 777 /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

hi gruven !

AFAIK, Xorg.0.log file has nothing to do with GUI. are you sure changing timestamp or permission will fix GUI?

Casper

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    hi gruven !

AFAIK, Xorg.0.log file has nothing to do with GUI. are you sure changing timestamp or permission will fix GUI?
    Casper
    His error said that it couldn't find the log file Xorg.0.log, so I suggested to "touch" it. Not only does touch update the timestamps, but also creates the file if it does not exist. Then, change the permissions of the file, so that Xorg will be sure to write to it.

That is what the log file has to do with the GUI. xorg.conf configures X, and the log file logs errors and anything else that happens.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

as i mentioned earlier, Xorg.0.log file has nothing to do with mis-configured xorg.conf or GUI. even if you Delete that file, nothing will change. X server will generate new log file on next boot up.
    changing permissions or creation of log file is not going to fix the Problem. OP messed up xorg.conf and assumed that log file editing will fix the problem. that is not going to happen and i mentioned that in post #2 already.

Casper

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast