Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have tried 3 differnt distros of Linux on and older computer .. I am not exactly sure what is in it really, cant seem to find that. 256 ram ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Please please help!

I have tried 3 differnt distros of Linux on and older computer .. I am not exactly sure what is in it really, cant seem to find that. 256 ram is about all i really know.. It was shipped with windows me some odd years ago and it has a celeron processor.. I have installed freespire, ubuntu and now mepis...My problem is everytime I open a program or two everything freezes.. I have tried control + Alt+ F1 and about everything else I can think of but I have to end up shutting it down.. Should I just try to put ME back on it or is there something I can do to fix/repair the problem I keep having with this?? Please help I am trying to find a favorite linux distro to put on my new system but am afraid because they keep freezing up everytime I try to do anything..
    I am not afraid of term comands..

Thanks for any help you can offer..

Just Joined!
    Hi StillT
    If you didn't wipe out your ME you may be able to get it back by booting from a 98se or ME boot diskette and type "fdisk /mbr" without the quotes thou
    If you are having problems with getting linux to run, try Puppy Linux. It runs from a CD and installs completely into ram. It's a nice lite weight distro. It's good for getting your feet wet or for on the road usage.

Which version of Mepis are you using? Does your computer work ok using the live disk?
    Research, research, research before you walk the plank.
    Registered Linux User #398829

Just Joined!
    Well it looks like I do not have windows on there anymore.. So I am not sure what to do.. I have Mepis 6.06 on there at the moment but none so far is working i will try pup and see if I still have the same problem. I was so hoping Linux would work. I am just afraid to put it on this system if it is messing up so bad on the other one. This one is A LOT newer and as of yet I have not ever had any problems with it but I do not want to invite any either.

Thanks so much

Pc

Well, Mepis would not work under PIII processor.
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

Just Joined!

Smile

Minthaka:
    Try Damn Small Linux. It's 50 MB is size, and can be run off the CD without installing. You may have to get a friend to download and burn the CD as your computer is not working well. Joe5

Quote Originally Posted by minthaka
    Well, Mepis would not work under PIII processor.
    Well, I have Mepis working on an PIII 1 gig machine, on an 650 mhz AMD slot A, on two AMD K6-II 500mhz machines, and your point is?
    Research, research, research before you walk the plank.
    Registered Linux User #398829

Just Joined!
    Thank you for the replies and sorry for the long pause..

Ok I have grown tired of playing with an older computer and not getting where I want to go. I have a great friend who got a laptop and had a desk top collecting dust and we worked out a deal, some home spun yarn and some other stuff and it is now mine!!!! Specks are :

AMD 64 3500
    512 ram
    200 Gig hard drive

Now my new probem is this.. I put in my SimplyMepis CD and looks like it is loading and then it stops at :
    GRUB: _

This is NOT what I saw during my other attempts and just wanted to know what this means and how do I move forward.. I am writing this from a live cd of ubuntu and so I am not understanding why KDE will not load.. I also tried pclinuxos and that brought me to the same exact place.. I am not giving up please dont get me wrong, I have nothing against GNOME and I have read that you can change ubuntu to "look or feel" more like KDE (or be KDE, I do not know I am still very new ) and I like ubuntu but became very fond of KDE using live cds....

What does this new (to me) screen mean??

I mean

I mean, the Mepis 6.0 Live CD didn't want to work with a PIII 800MHz processor and 128MB RAM and 8MB of graphical memory. probably the installed version would work better.
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188