Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to run a Linux program using Damn Small Linux on a pen drive. This program wipes sensitive hard drives. Then it creates a log file in the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Damn Small Linux on USB pen drive

I am trying to run a Linux program using Damn Small Linux on a pen drive. This program wipes sensitive hard drives. Then it creates a log file in the /var/logs folder in DSL. The problem is that log is saved in ram disk and is lost when DSL is shut down.

Caveat to this is that Linux boxes are not allowed on the corporate network (otherwise life would be too easy and I could just print from DSL to a network printer). To circumvent this, I made two partitions on the pen drive using Qpart. DSL is on the first partition and the second partition would be where the log file would be saved. Issue now is that Windows will only read the first partition on the pen drive. I thought I could put DSL on the second partition but then when I try to boot from the pen drive, the bios looks for an OS only on the first partition.

After a lengthy prologue – Is there anyway to force the computer to boot from the second partition on the pen drive or in the alternative (for the windows savy) is there a way to force XP to see the second partition? This will allow me to boot DSL and run the wipe program on a computer while also allowing me to retrieve the log file when I plug the pen drive into a Windows box.

Hope that all made sense.

Isn't the log file on the second partition?
    So, what's to boot from on the second partition of the USB?
    What file systems are you using?

More information required.

Just Joined!

Smile

Hmm..not sure I understand but on my dsl thumb if I download something I think I copy it to cdrom directory so it is not lost as that is where the knoppix directory is..otherwise it is in ram and is lost when I shut down.
    hope that helps