Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am new to the whole Linux scene. Recently, I installed Ubuntu and was quite satisfied, despite my poor screen resolution. Anyways, I would like to know if Ubuntu ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Which Distribution?

Hello,

I am new to the whole Linux scene. Recently, I installed Ubuntu and was quite satisfied, despite my poor screen resolution. Anyways, I would like to know if Ubuntu was the right fit for me. I researched quite a lot and it seemed to be, but I never really talked to anyone about it. My computer hardware is as follows:

CPU: Pentium D - 2.8 GHz
    MB: Asus P5B
    RAM: 2.0 GB DDR2
    HDD: 160 GB SATA2
    VC: BFG GeForce 7900 GS - 256 MB
    Screen: 19' Widescreen (Res: 1440X900)

I used to game, but now I do mostly writing and various web applications.

Any suggestions for which OS would be much appreciated and maybe one that can help me with the screen resolution without a terminal, if that is even possible.

Thanks in advance.

TK.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ead-first.html

No one can tell you which distribution is best for you. It's something you have to figure out for yourself. I recommend reading the "Which Distro?" thread in the link provided.

If you can be more specific about your screen resolution problem and post a thread to that effect in the Ubuntu section of the forum we'll do our best to get you fixed up. It usually involves editing a text file, and with the right permissions that doesn't necessarily involve a terminal.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants