Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Im running Dynebolic on an ancient ibm laptop and i cant get it to find the network card, its a 3com 3ccce589et LAN card. Are there drivers or something i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy network issues

Im running Dynebolic on an ancient ibm laptop and i cant get it to find the network card, its a 3com 3ccce589et LAN card. Are there drivers or something i need to get or will my card work at all? Im almost completely broke so buying a new one isn't really an option.

I think you might want to have a gander at NDISwrapper. It claims to support a whole lot of cards, including PCMCIA cards.
    http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    thanks, now i just have to get the computer back from my brother to see if it works.

Just Joined!

Help!

i cant get the thing to install, it keeps saying it cant find the "kernel build directory" or something along that line, and wants me to edit the KBUILD argument in the makefile, but i cannot find the right directory to insert here, and i don't know where to begin looking. I've tried all the ones that seem obvious like modules/kernel etc but nothing is working. now im wishing i went with a more mainstream distro but dynebolic has several features that are really quite necessary for my needs.

Let us know how it goes, Im interested to see if NDISwrapper runs on Dynebolic.
    Any Idea which distro Dynebolic is based on?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

We posted right about the same time.
    Kernel build directory is where the kernel sources should be installed,,but I dont know where that would be on Dynebolic.

Just Joined!
    from what i can tell from the rather sparse documentation on the dynebolic website, it's not based on any other distro and is completely made from scratch.

Well then, the only thing I know to do, would be to make sure your kernel sources are installed.

Just Joined!
    kernel sources installed? what does that mean? im sorry, im new to linux. it sounds like they would have to be installed for dynebolic to run. Dynebolic is wierd, it doesnt require installation and all i have done is "docked" it so that it can run from the hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by djsteiner
    kernel sources installed? what does that mean? im sorry, im new to linux. it sounds like they would have to be installed for dynebolic to run. Dynebolic is wierd, it doesnt require installation and all i have done is "docked" it so that it can run from the hard drive.
    Yeah, you have the kernel itself installed but I doubt you have the actual source code that the kernel was built with (kernel sources).
    I am currently looking at the Dynebolic website and as you mentioned "documentation is sparce". I can't seem to locate the info you want, and that would be, where is the kernel source installed.
    Post the output of this command, in a terminal/command line:
    uname -a

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast