Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
fmw, did you even look at Krusader? It should install on your box without problems....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

fmw, did you even look at Krusader? It should install on your box without problems.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just because an ftp program is not available through your package management system doesn't mean that one can't be installed. You can always compile from source.

Judging by your last post, it seems as if you have given up. Are you still interested in trying? If so, we can guide you through compiling an ftp program from source.
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

fmw
    Just Joined!
    I would appreciate it. If you have the patience, I have the interest in learning.

Quote Originally Posted by fmw
    I would appreciate it. If you have the patience, I have the interest in learning.
    That is all that is required. You're on your way! Provided you have an Internet connection, try this. Open a terminal and become "su" or "super user."
    Code:
    su
    ...and press enter. It will prompt for root's password. Enter it and again press enter. Then:
    Code:
    apt-get update
    ...and of course, press enter. After it finishes...
    Code:
    apt-get install krusader
    After it installs ok, do:
    Code:
    exit
    ...to get out of "su" and back to regular user. To run krusader...
    Code:
    krusader
    The krusader website says this will work for "Debian aware" distros. I've never used Xandros, and I'm not sure how "aware" it is anymore to straight Debian, but I cannot imagine krusader not being in their repositories. If it isn't that simple, I'm sure there is another way that will be just as easy... Good luck.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 03-06-2007 at 11:25 AM.

fmw
    Just Joined!
    "Package krusader is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    However the following packages replace it:
    kdelibs-data"

is the error message that apt-get install krusader generated. When I replace the word krusader with kdelibs-data the system says that I have the latest version so there is no update.

fmw
    Just Joined!
    Your last sentence brings up a rather basic question. I note this business of distributions. My assumption is that Linux is some sort of basic kernel that all Linux versions share. I assume that the "distributions" add functionality to the kernel but do so in different ways. What is the purpose of that? Why can't people get together on a single version. Or.....perhaps my assumptions are wrong.

I have another distribution as well called Fedora. If that is more functional than what I have, I can load it up to replace this one.

Did a little research on this, and it appears you already have a very advanced file browser/ftp file transfer utility in the Xandros File Manager...
    Have you had a close look at it? It appears to be able to do what you want. Hope this helps...

On the distro thing, since Linux is Open Source anyone has the ability to change it into just about whatever they want. Think of the many distros as different flavours, each having it's own maintainers who want different things out of Linux. On a very basic level, Linux is the same, but the different distros add or subtact utilities, packages and apps as they like. Xandros is by far one of the more new user friendly distros. I'd stick with it. If at some point you don't feel it is exactly what you want, have a look at some of the others... Here's a great website that keeps track and reviews the different distros. I probably visit DistroWatch.com five or so times a day...
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 03-06-2007 at 01:09 PM.

Another option i'll throw in is FireFTP plugin for firefox. Simple to setup and use, and is just like any other FTP client tbh. Plus fits straight into the firefox main window in a new tab
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

fmw
    Just Joined!
    My guess is that having all the distros really gets in the way of the advancement of Linux. It becomes an almost infinite variety of operating systems with an inadequate amount of compatibility. With any commercial operating system, what works on one computer should work on another. With Linux it is the proverbial crap shoot. I would really urge people to get a definitive version of the thing developed so that everybody can read from same page. Having it the way it is will most certainly hamper its growth. That's an observation from an outsider.

I'll look into these two new options and spend more time reading. Thanks. I appreciate your interest and help.

Quote Originally Posted by fmw
    My guess is that having all the distros really gets in the way of the advancement of Linux.
    fmw, if you continue to use Linux, I think you'll realize as the rest of us do that having the many distros has actually advance the Linux operating system greatly. Think of the Linux world as its own free enterprise zone where different companies are competing with each other over the same market share. The only way to attract customers is to be innovative and competitive. In the end, many distros won't be able to sustain themseleves and fall by the wayside. It's already happened to countless many. The remainders will rise to the top in their never ending quest to be the distro with the most competitive edge. This can only benefit Linux and that has been the case from the beginning.
    It becomes an almost infinite variety of operating systems with an inadequate amount of compatibility. With any commercial operating system, what works on one computer should work on another. With Linux it is the proverbial crap shoot.
    On the contrary, Linux is not an infinite number of operating systems. It is now and has always been just one operating system. At its basic level Linux is all the same. Different distros may have different package management systems and a number of varying utilities and applications, but from the command line it is almost universally the same. The same basic commands that work in Xandros will also work in Fedora, Gentoo, Ubuntu, SuSE and Slackware." The command line is the universal language that all of them understand.
    I would really urge people to get a definitive version of the thing developed so that everybody can read from same page. Having it the way it is will most certainly hamper its growth. That's an observation from an outsider.
    Actually, this is a very common complaint from new users. Linux is initially sought out because it is hoped that it will be better than Windows. Then, upon seeing those very differences, the complaint is made that it is not enough like Windows. It is impossible for something to be superior to something else, while continuing to be equal to it. If you haven't done so already, please take the time to read the linked article in my signature. It will answer a lot of questions and clarify many of the misconceptions new users have. All of us here were once new users too, experiencing many if not most of the aggravations and difficulties you are now experiencing. We've been there and understand.
    I'll look into these two new options and spend more time reading. Thanks. I appreciate your interest and help.
    You said earlier that if we had the time to help you, you had the time to learn. That's really all that is required. We're here and ready to assist.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 03-07-2007 at 11:56 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast