Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Brand new user, here. Does Xandros Business package have an FTP program with a GUI? If not, can you recommend one? I need it to upload files to my web ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    fmw
    Just Joined!

Graphical FTP

Brand new user, here. Does Xandros Business package have an FTP program with a GUI? If not, can you recommend one? I need it to upload files to my web sites. Thanks for any help.

I can recommend gFTP, I've never used Xandro sbut I suppose you can install if from a Debian .deb with dpkg or maybe it is in Xandros' repos
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

oz
    forum.guy
    Agreed... gFTP is very easy to use and you should be able to install it on Xandros.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    fmw
    Just Joined!
    Thanks for the tip. I did find nVu, which is a simple htm editor with an FTP capability but it isn't very impressive. I'll go looking for gFTP. Thanks again.

fmw
    Just Joined!
    As a note, I couldn't get gFTP to install for lack of a number of dependent files. I'm going through the hundreds and hundreds of listings on the Debian site to see if something will work for me. If I find it, I'll post it.

The one we use in our business on a daily basis and has never failed us for years is Krusader. I consider it to be one of most inexpendable Linux apps.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

If you are using KDE and just looking for simple file transfer, you can always just use Konqueror (your file manager). It won't give you quite the features of a dedicated ftp program like gFTP but it does help with simple uploads and downloads.
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Does Xandros include apt-get?
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

It does but it appears as if it has the potential to break the system if outside sources are used.

I'm not familiar with Xandros but does it's own package management system not have some sort of ftp program?
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

fmw
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bryansmith
    It does but it appears as if it has the potential to break the system if outside sources are used.

I'm not familiar with Xandros but does it's own package management system not have some sort of ftp program?

Nope. It has just the two mentioned above. Nothing in a full featured, gui driven ftp program. I can't find anything on the Debian web site either. I guess I'll continue to use one of the Windows machines for that purpose. So far, Linux hasn't proven to be very useful for our business. I think it's fine for a home user but it simply doesn't have critical software like accounting, UPS Worldship etc. The Crossover program only runs a few outdated software packages. It won't run any of the packages we use on a daily bases. It accesses the internet just fine but, so far, hasn't been able to provide any of the basics our business needs. I'm not willing to use Microsoft Vista and I want some solutions before they stop supporting XP. I might have to end up with a Mac for everything other than UPS. Microsoft has a true strangle hold on the industry, doesn't it?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast