Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can anyone recommend a book that will help a Windows button pusher get things working in Damn Small Linux?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DSL for Dummies?

Can anyone recommend a book that will help a Windows button pusher get things working in Damn Small Linux?

Just Joined!
    cant recomend a book but i too have recently moved to linux try this version of dsl
    http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/dsl-n/

i found it much easyer to work with also if you are looking for a small linux try puppy

Just Joined!

Smile

How you are useing dsl and what version you use has a lot to do with how you do things.

I found this note regarding a dsl-2.2 hard disk install maby something still usefull here

hope it helps

Newbie questions about 2.2 hd install (pent166- 48meg ram +swap)
    answered by the forum:

Read the help file. it is available in cpanel
    Read the wike-link on home page

Q:How do I turn on dma, I have a grub install on hd?

A: From the menu/apps/tools/emelfm choose- emelfm as super user.
    From the right list choose- boot/grub/menu1st
    click menu1st, right click and open, click- view file, see titledsl in the list- see no dma in its string- backspace "no" save file . exit . reboot

Q: How do I see whats on my floppy and cdrom

A: Go to emelfm and look in the right list for crom or floppy. left click to highlite then right click for menu and left click mount. you should see the content.

Q:I can't see my commercial cd in emilfm, how do I play it?

A: Open xmms. open play list click new, click dir choose cdrom from dialog and ok, play

Q: How do I get dillo to stop poping up at boot and showing the getting started page?

A: Fix dillo patched -
    menu/apps/tools/ emelfm/ emelfm as superuser - click "H" shows hidden files
    Find and right click open -xinitrc - see dillo add "#" in front (#dillo.....) . save. the"#" stops dillo at boot.
    Goto home/dsl/fluxbox/menu, scroll down see (dillo patched) ( blablabla) replace with (dillo)(/usr/local/bin/dillo) . save.
    Goto dillo desktop icon and click properties change command to just- command: dillo
    this will restore dillo to normal.

Q: How do I turn off the desktop stats and the boxs at the bottom left of the screen?

A: To turn off desktop stats and workspace boxs goto home/dsl/xinitrc and "#" torsmo and/or fluxter . save . restartx, remove the # to restore.

Q: How can I quickly resize a window, I can not see the top?

A: Push alt+ left or right mouse buttons to move and resize windows.
    alt+left to move, alt+right to resize

Q: Is there a file splitter for dsl?

A: Split and cat - file split and rejoin for floppy storage. in fm type split or cat --help for info. click the directory the files are in.
    ie: split -b 1380000 /home/dsl/eboard.dsl chess
    this should give chessaa, chessab, chessac.
    ie: cat chessaa chessab chessac > eboard.dsl
    Note: test join before storage. if the file size is not correct try refresh by exiting the directory and reopening..

Q: How do I replace icons with my favorite ones?

A: Convert(in editor of choice) your favorite icons to .png or .gif and add to home/dsl/xtdesktop then choose them via icon properties by right clicking the icon or in icontool if creating a new shortcut.

Q:How do I create a desk top Icon for dialup?

A: Click icon tool from menu/desktop . click add. choose icon from list and type name choice in icon label,type sudo /usr/sbin/pppdial in full path. click ok
    The path can be found by looking in the fluxbox menu

Q; How do I save to the directory on another hd partition from dsl

A: Open emelfm as superuser, right panel is home/dsl
    left panel- open /mnt, open your partition, click directory to link to. click syslink button
    In root@box$ type. chown dsl.staff /mnt/hd<b1>/<directory> where <b1> is the drive and partition number and< directory >is the name of the directory you wish to access from dsl.

Q: How do I add my favorite wallpaper to the desk top?

A: Add jpg wallpapers to home/dsl/fluxbox/backgrounds and change via desktop/ menu/ wallpaper

Q: How do I replace icons with my favorite ones?

A: Convert your favorite icons to .png or .gif and add to home/dsl/xtdesktop then choose them via icon properties by right clicking the icon or icontool if creating a new shortcut.

Q: Does the thing in the bottom right hand corner have to be where it is?

A: If you rightclick on the slit the menu allows autohide and movement to different locations on the screen.

Q:How do I stop the screen from blacking out after 10 min?

A: Add the following line to /home/dsl/xinitrc
    xset s off &
    this should be placed above the last lines

Q: how do I increse the aterm font size?

A: open emelfm, open xdefaults find aterm*font:fixed
    change fixed to one of 7x14/8x16/10x20. save
    xlsfonts|less will list alternative fonts
    or look in /usr/x11R6/lib/x11/fonts/*fonts.alias

Q: How do I uninstall a program I do not like?

A: dsl as an hd install does not offer uninstall..however if the program is static or not causeing issue-

Go to emelfm as super, look in fluxbox/menu for the program/path..go to the destination and delete, then return to fluxbox menu and delete the program entry and save the file..this will remove the menu entry and file executed by clicking it. you may find other referances, carefull
    if the program created problems reinstall dsl..hd install is not recomended partly for this reason.

Programs that worked from the repository for dsl 2.2 hd install
    Opera854.dsl
    gqview
    imagemagick
    jpilot
    xmms alarm
    dekagen
    dia
    audacity
    abiword
    xearth
    cups
    sox
    xcalc
    dsl dpkg
    synaptic
    programs via synaptic working ( best to check repository first )
    xdaliclock
    aspell
    dictd

Just Joined!

Talking

I am trying to set up my old laptop for a woman who knows even less than I and is sure to get trashed by malware of all kinds. DSL boots and appears to do the simple things she wants - word processing, e-mail, pictures of grandchildren, and browsing. But I can't get Sylphead connected to my mail service (Foxfire is connected), and so I assume she will have many similar problems.

A big source of problems for me is lack of vocabulary. The information I need may be readily available, but I don't understand the words. Thus the need for some simple book for newbies.

Just Joined!
    Sorry my notes were less help..
    .I think there is a book called linux for dummies and dozens of others you might choose...there was a book listed on the dsl site but none of these books are specific to dsl....they will help however with basic understanding..the file structure, jargon etc.
    damnsmall is created from knoppix linux which is based on debian linux...so a book about debian may helpfull..
    forums can be helpfull and there are many linux sites if you need help with programs
    the gqview extension is very nice for pics and will do a slide show in full screen.

sylpheed is a good mail client.. you may need to look again at your setup and make sure the basic settings are correct. this link may help

http://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/en/

documentation ( go down to 2 for config )
    http://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/doc/faq/en/sylpheed-faq.html

if you have specific questions post them maby I know the answer or someone else reading here does..best I can offer...hope the link helps

Just Joined!
    Good suggestions. Thanks.

It turns out that my problem with Sylpheed was a typo. I tried to find instructions for setting up "Sylphead", which generated some chat groups in Russian. All went fine when I got the name right. Even a book for dummies can't solve a problem that dumb!

My one-month-old MSVista machine is corrupted and all kinds of small things are going wrong (e.g., no disk formatting, must use flash stick to backup files already transfered, etc.). Dell Support wants to ream it out and start over. I am thinking of just scrapping Vista and putting Ubuntu on it. It seems to me that the learning curve for Linux (with some kind of manual) can't be a lot worse than the repair curve for Vista.

Any thoughts?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mdrowe
    Good suggestions. Thanks.

My one-month-old MSVista machine is corrupted and all kinds of small things are going wrong (e.g., no disk formatting, must use flash stick to backup files already transfered, etc.). Dell Support wants to ream it out and start over. I am thinking of just scrapping Vista and putting Ubuntu on it. It seems to me that the learning curve for Linux (with some kind of manual) can't be a lot worse than the repair curve for Vista.

Any thoughts?
    im here due to vista i HATEDIT(thankfully i have a great relationship with my local micro center and was able to return my vista) i will NEVER use any m$ again even if it takes me months to figure out linux properly but thankfully we get great
    Free help in the forums.

i use unbuntu ,PCLinuxOS and just started with vector ,all 3 are good but I love unbuntu best

oh and why DSL?

Just Joined!
    I am glad you found a solution
    All operating systems can be problematic, reinstalls of windows is nothing new and I had to do the same with some linux before I understood the issues. So reinstalling vista has just happened sooner than later. It's your choice.

Ubuntu is currently popular amoung other standards and offers a greater range of programs perhaps than dsl.

I choose dsl as it will run on usb thumb and offer a good basic desktop. it also installed to a low end pentium and can be run in ram as a live cd..In other words it has great flexibility being so small. I was rather impressed as I do not think window can do any of that, and certainly not with the freedom to alter at will or load on an old yardsale box and give away freely.

In this case the alternative would likely be puppy, I have a copy but have not yet found much time to play with him. These two I think are the best tiny linux as desktop especially for the novice user. amoung many specialized minilinux

Best of luck with your freedom of choice

Just Joined!

ms win

just cant beleive u blow vista up in 30 days!!! unless u had help... like someone sending u bad e-mail.

heres one of my stories... i been around computers ferever, 1979 bought my first radio shack mod 2. about 1yr ago i bought a copy of xp home. i ran this os with no virus protector for 6 mo. no problems.

next i'll bet loading different os on your dell will void your warrenty?!?

linux is easy to use just as windows but... have a problem with it and u better be a computer power user
    want to use linus go buy a $50.00 book with a disk... read alot... learn...load your new os on a old system and learn more!!!

oh and learning linux is like getting a MBA study everyday.