Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello, I installed MEPIS last week and boy, was I blown away! this distro truly rocks!! MEPIS goes out of its way to make the user's life easier: I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question QuickTime in FireFox

Hello,

I installed MEPIS last week and boy, was I blown away! this distro truly rocks!! MEPIS goes out of its way to make the user's life easier: I have it installed on an old Inspiron 1000 and everything works awesome ... no problems with sound, no problems with the display (in fact i got a screen resolution of 1024 X 768 - unheard of on an old, crappy, SiS adapter on any distro that I tried) ... hell, I even plugged in a D-Link PCMCIA wireless card and it was instantly recognized and working great!!!!

But, I digress ... my problem: Well, FF uses the Mplayer plugin to play quicktime movies in the browser window and it used to do that perfectly fine until today ... for some reson all it does now is show a blank, black screen with the message "(no picture)" in it. I really have no clue as to what might have caused this ... I have a vague recollection of coaxing FF to play embedded WMV files a few days ago (it didn't play 'em ... and still doesn't) by copying some dll files in the usr/lib/win32/ folder (I don't remember the files or the thread that directed me to do so) ... could this have something to do with it? I also installed the VLC player coupla days back ... does this interfere with the MPlayer plugin in any way?

I tried re-installing the mozilla mplayerplug-in but to no effect ... the quicktime movies just won't play any more. Does anyone know how I can get the damn thing working again? Also how do I get FF/MPlayer to play WMV files?

Any help will be much appreciated...

Vic

Talking MOV files

Hi, I've checked, whether my Mplayer plays QuickTime files. It does. I'll list you the installed components I'm using on my system:
    libcdio6 (0.76-1ubuntu1)
    libiso9660-4 (0.76-1ubuntu1)
    libvcdinfo0 (0.7.23-1ubuntu1)
    xine-ui (0.99.4-0ubuntu6)
    mozilla-mplayer
    mplayer-nogui
    liblame0 (3.96.1-1)
    libmad0 (0.15.1b-2.1)
    mencoder (2:0.99+1.0pre7try2+cvs20060117-0ubuntu
    mplayer (2:0.99+1.0pre7try2+cvs20060117-0ubuntu
    mplayer-fonts (3.5-2)
    mplayer-skins (2-6)
    w32codecs (1:20061022-0.0)
    libavifile-0.7c2 (1:0.7.44.20051021-1ubuntu2)
    libfame-0.9 (0.9.0-0.1)
    libmpeg2-4 (0.4.0b-4ubuntu1)
    libpvm3 (3.4.5-6)
    transcode (2:1.0.2-0.0ubuntu2)

I'm not encountering any problems. I hope this will help you !
    Mepis is the best indeed!
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

hi

thanks for the reply minthaka ... let me check for that stuff on my system and get back to you.

so your mplayer embedded in mozilla can play trailers from the apple website or any wmv files?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Red face still not getting any...

<pardon the simple plan quote >

Hi minthaka ... I used synaptic to check if i had the packages that you had stated installed and here's what I found ... I had most of them installed but not these:

xine-ui - I had kaffeine which uses the xine engine but no xine-ui ... also i had libxine-main1 installed but not these: libxine-extracodecs, libxine1c2.
    mencoder - i installed it now
    mplayer - this is kinda confusing ... I had mplayer-nogui installed but not this and when i tried installing mplayer (along with skins and fonts), synaptics uninstalled mplayer-nogui
    w32codecs - synaptics couldn't find this in any of the repositories

But anyways, after installing everything ... i still get the blank, black screen with the message "(no picture)" in it...

Is there another repository that I can add to synaptics to get the w32codecs??

Try this

Add in your /etc/apt/sources.list
    deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org sarge main
    or
    deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org stable main

You can also visit this website for another pools: http://www.debian-multimedia.org

mplayer-nogui shoild be uninstalled since you'll use mplayer with GUI. That's O.K
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

Just Joined!
    Good advice above about debian-multimedia sources. Packages in that repo are full not crippled and work great. MPlayer and its frontend KPlayer are there.

w32codecs

Hi guys ... thanks for taking the time to help me out here ... i really appreciate it!

About the repositories ... I added both the sarge and stable repositories into my synaptic package manager ... it gave me this error:
    W: GPG error: http://www.debian-multimedia.org sarge Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 07DC563D1F41B907
    W: GPG error: http://www.debian-multimedia.org stable Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 07DC563D1F41B907
    but I think the repositories got added to the list any way, because when i updated synaptic and searched for w32codecs, it now appeared in the list. I had already obtained and installed it after searching the forum for information. This is the thread where I found the information:
    now after installing the codecs, wmv files play fine on both mplayer and xine ... so that resolves one of my issues. thanks for the help!

now my only unresolved issue (for the time being ) is that of playing quicktime movies in my firefox browser.

Just Joined!
    MPlayer should play quicktime without issue. For Firefox there is mplayerplug-in.

Smile

I know mplayerplug-in does work for firefox and it did too ... when i had mepis freshly installed. But, between then and now I apparently did something terrible to make it go away ... and for the life of me, I can't figure out what it was that I did!

You need to install w32codecs, it's pretty simple, follow this instructions:
    wget http://www3.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/rel...061022.tar.bz2
    su
    tar jxf all-20061022.tar.bz2
    cd all-20061022
    cp * /usr/lib/win32
    cp * /usr/local/lib/codecs

ps: you may need to create the folders where you unpack the files
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast