Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Has anyone tried installing the beyl desktop on MEPIS? Also, do you need to have a 3d accelerator card for beryl to work? Vic...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Beryl on MEPIS??

Has anyone tried installing the beyl desktop on MEPIS? Also, do you need to have a 3d accelerator card for beryl to work?

Vic

Linux Guru
    You will need 3D acceleration for Beryl to work. It shouldn't be a problem as Mepis is Ubuntu based now and there are plenty of packages for Ubuntu. I think as long as your X server is up to date you should be fine (I'm not sure which version Mepis ships with. Check out the wiki at beryl-project.org

thanks for the reply big tom ... unfortunately, i do not have a 3d accelerator card on my laptop. I was told that beryl installed even on ones without a graphics card and that the regular graphics adapter works fine ... too bad!

Just Joined!
    hello everyone, this is my first post on this site but i hope it's not the last as the site looks very helpful and should come in handy in the future
    I've got Simply Mepis 64 and i want to install beryl, can some one send me the exact link please as i don't know which one i need
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jerry89
    I've got Simply Mepis 64 and i want to install beryl, can some one send me the exact link please as i don't know which one i need
    Which version of Mepis are you using?

Beryl is installed and configured by default in the latest Mepis 6.5, so make sure you are using the latest version.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    im using 6.5, so how do i get beryl to function?

Just Joined!
    i've found the way to use beryl on mepis 6.5 but every time i try and load it, logs me out and takes me back to the log on screen.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry89
    i've found the way to use beryl on mepis 6.5 but every time i try and load it, logs me out and takes me back to the log on screen.
    The proper way to start beryle is to choose that type of session at the login screen. Hopefully that's what you've discovered.

If it doesn't work that way maybe it's a 3d acceleration issue. Try this in a terminal (konsole)
    Code:
    glxinfo  |  grep direct
    The " | " thing is a pipe, it probably shares the " \ " key on your keyboard.
    If the output is not "YES" tell us what type of videocard you're using.

afaik 64 bit works the same as 32.

edit/ 6.5.00 or one of the RC releases? Clean install or updated from an earlier version?
    WARNING: I may be telling you more than I know !

Just Joined!
    thanks for the reply, it says no, when i type that command in so i'm assuming my nvidia 6600gt hasn't been configured with linux. It's a clean MEPIS installation

Linux Newbie
    Not exactly how I did it but this should work
    http://www.mepisguides.com/Mepis-6/n...a-glx-604.html

Hopefully that also gets beryl working. Sorry for using a link but I'm in a rush.

Think that card is to new for legacy driver but wouldn't hurt to check this at the nvidia site.
    WARNING: I may be telling you more than I know !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast