Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by devils_casper did you try changing driver to "nv"? if 1600x1200 is supported by your Monitor then dont change it right now. try "nv" first. Hi devils_casper, My ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    did you try changing driver to "nv"? if 1600x1200 is supported by your Monitor then dont change it right now. try "nv" first.
    Hi devils_casper,

My monitor does not support 1600x1200. Now it displays 1280x1024 max.

I don't think "nv" will solve the problem. Previsously I tested slamd64 on this box running "nv" driver. It also has graphic problem. Finally I have to download and install nvidia driver on nvidia.com.

Anyway I would like to try it. Where can I find the "nv" driver.

Previously I encountered another bitter experience on testing archlinux on this box. They have their own nvidia driver but with it the graphic did not run properly. I still have to download and install the nvidia driver on nvidia.com

B.R.
    satimis

as i mentioned earlier, "nv" is pre-installed in all Linux distros. please check post #6 again.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    as i mentioned earlier, "nv" is pre-installed in all Linux distros. please check post #6 again.
    Hi devils_casper,

# find / -name xorg -type d
    No printout

# ls /usr/X11R6/lib64/modules/drivers/
    Code:
    apm_drv.o        dummy_drv.o     r128_drv.o           tdfx_drv.o
    ark_drv.o        fbdev_drv.o     radeon_drv.o         tga_drv.o
    ati_drv.o        glint_drv.o     rendition_drv.o      trident_drv.o
    atimisc_drv.o    i128_drv.o      riva128.o            tseng_drv.o
    chips_drv.o      i810_drv.o      s3_drv.o             vesa_drv.o
    cirrus_alpine.o  linux           s3virge_drv.o        vga_drv.o
    cirrus_drv.o     mga_drv.o       savage_drv.o         vmware_drv.o
    cirrus_laguna.o  neomagic_drv.o  siliconmotion_drv.o
    cyrix_drv.o      nv_drv.o        sis_drv.o
    Driver "nv_drv.o " is there.

$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Code:
    Section "Device"
            Identifier  "Videocard0"
            Driver      "vesa"
            VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
            BoardName   "VESA driver (generic)"
    It uses "vesa" driver.

Changed "vesa" as "nv"

Restarted X.

The screen is worser than before, not clear with 2 black column of about 1.5" wide on both sides of the screen.

B.R.
    satimis

Linux Guru
    Hi devils_casper and folks,

Finally I'm compelled to download and install the nvidia driver on nvidia.com website.

Installation went through without complaint. Kernel was recompiled automatically. After finish I manually edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf changing "vesa" to "nvidia". Then rebooted PC to effect the new compiled kernel and started Xfce4.

X is running properly with correct resolution 1680x1050 displayed. All 64bit CentOS, archlinux, Gentoo, slamd64, etc. needs the nVidia driver on their website. Only 64bit FC6 and Ubuntu can use "nv" driver to run X correctly.

Now I shall face another risk. If upgrade kernel and xorg I need to run the original xorg.conf first and repeat the same steps to reinstall the nVidia driver, but It was not always work. I have in one case in which the repeated steps can't solve the problem resulting in X unable to start. I can't recall which OS.

To run those OS as workstation on PC running nVidia chipsets you have to consider carefully. To run them as server without X it is possible. It is not the problem of the chipset it is the problem on the development of the OS.

B.R.
    satimis

Now I shall face another risk. If upgrade kernel and xorg I need to run the original xorg.conf first and repeat the same steps to reinstall the nVidia driver, but It was not always work. I have in one case in which the repeated steps can't solve the problem resulting in X unable to start. I can't recall which OS.

To run those OS as workstation on PC running nVidia chipsets you have to consider carefully. To run them as server without X it is possible. It is not the problem of the chipset it is the problem on the development of the OS.
    i agree. one has to re-install graphics drivers either its ATI or Nvidia after every kernel upgrade and sometimes it mess whole graphics settings.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2