Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am thinking about installing mepis. I have Kubuntu, and I think it has all the stuff that I want in it's package manager anyway. But on Mepis, They have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Extra CDs

I am thinking about installing mepis. I have Kubuntu, and I think it has all the stuff that I want in it's package manager anyway. But on Mepis, They have extra CDs. Does that mean I should burn the extra CDs before I install it so I have the packages that I want?

oz
    forum.guy
    I don't run Mepis, but you should be able to use Synaptic or apt-get to install any extra packages you want (providing you have internet access). Maybe someone will correct me if that's wrong.
    oz

knoppix

DONT USE MEPIS Knoppix is better if you want lots of apps to play with

its really cool.
    and its great for programmers

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    DONT USE MEPIS Knoppix is better if you want lots of apps to play with
    No distro is better for everybody, Knoppix may be for you but not for amantonas. Distro choice is really subjective that's why mods block Which Distro threads
    Let users experiment with every distro so they can choose better

To answer the original question:
    These 3 isos contain about 1,500 of the most popular extra apps for documentation, language support, KDE, games, software development, GNOME, and servers.
    From MEPIS webpage http://www.mepis.org/node/6887
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

CDs

Well, I have a DVD version of Mephis 6.0-1 and there are 3 extra CDs included. They are placed in "pool" folder of DVD. I have also the 1 cd version 6.0-4, and hopefully tomorrow I will have Mepis 6.5 too. The extra CD's have some extra packages and that's all.
    If you want to switch to Mepis, you will not regret, but the Kubuntu is also a good choice. I had some temptations to switch to Kubuntu recently. But I resisted!
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

mephis is certaily an easy OS to use have you tried the new version of gnome. I think its only avalible on live CD at the moment but it should be out soon on an installable OS so you can duel boot.

Just Joined!
    I tried mepis. It was very nice on the live cd. It recognized the internet and the sound. When Installed it, It had no sound. The ONLY distributions that had sound were Kubuntu 6.10 and Mandriva 2007. I was already thinking about trying knoppix. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by amantonas
    I tried mepis. It was very nice on the live cd. It recognized the internet and the sound. When Installed it, It had no sound. The ONLY distributions that had sound were Kubuntu 6.10 and Mandriva 2007. I was already thinking about trying knoppix. Thanks!
    After you loaded Mepis, did you unmute the mixer controls? If things worked from the live disk, they should work after the install.
    Research, research, research before you walk the plank.
    Registered Linux User #398829

Quote Originally Posted by david486038
    mephis is certaily an easy OS to use have you tried the new version of gnome. I think its only avalible on live CD at the moment but it should be out soon on an installable OS so you can duel boot.
    Gnome is not on Mepis.
    Research, research, research before you walk the plank.
    Registered Linux User #398829