Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm a new member, as well as a brand new linux user. I have installed dsl 3.2 on an old laptop, and am very pleased with it. I've been ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Can't write to etc/pcmcia/config using dsl

Hi, I'm a new member, as well as a brand new linux user. I have installed dsl 3.2 on an old laptop, and am very pleased with it. I've been working with it for a LONG time now, and have one problem that I can not google my way out of. Keep in mind that I am not familiar with the console (or very much in general).

I am trying to get internet access through my Microsoft MN-520 wireless card. I think it recognizes the card, but it is not listed as a compatible card on the config file. After searching for a long time, I found that the etc/pcmcia/config file just needs these 3 lines added to it:

card "Microsoft Wireless Notebook Adapter MN-520 1.0.3"
    version "Microsoft", "Wireless Notebook Adapter MN-520", "", "1.0.3"
    bind "orinoco_cs"

However, when I go to open etc/pcmcia/config, it opens with Beaver, and I can't write to it. If I go to permissions for the file, it says that 'user' is enabled for the write function. I can't figure out how to add the lines, and am wildly frustrated. This distribution also came with Vim and Nano, if either of those make any difference.

I would greatly appreciate any help with this. I searched through the forums and couldn't find a previously made thread on this problem. I apologize if there has already been one. Thanks in advance, and please treat me like a 5 year old with your responses; I'm fresh from windows!

Just Joined!
    This may not be helpfull...
    did you try as root...
    I run an older version of dsl with emelfm as file manager and although I can open files in beaver as dsl @box I need to open emelfm as a superuser (root@box) to change the file and save it..may be changed in 3.2 not sure...hope it helps