Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm new to these forums, and fairly amateur when it comes to Linux in general, but bare with me I've been looking around at a variety of different distributions ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

EnGarde Linux?

Hi, I'm new to these forums, and fairly amateur when it comes to Linux in general, but bare with me

I've been looking around at a variety of different distributions to use on a server for hosting several online aspects of small projects that i run largely on my own, so i need something that is secure and fairly easy to maintain. I'm going for a LAMP system, so the only remaining decision for me is the 'L'.

From what i've read, EnGarde seems to be quite suitable to my needs, but i can't find an awful lot of (up to date) information and independent reviews on it; on this forum or the Internet in general, so I was wondering if there is anyone here who has tried it or uses it regularly, and could share their experiences; pros and cons etc. If you think you know something better then i would be happy to hear it. Others i'm considering are: Redhat, Gentoo, Debian, Openwall, Ubuntu, Trustix and some *BSDs. One of the things that draws me to EnGarde is its tendency to only run the services that are necessary, rather than loading up things that will only make the system more vulnerable. Efficiency is a big + for me.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

The DistroWatch site for EnGarde has a few reviews:

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=engarde
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the quick reply.

They're a little dated but seem accurate enough. My biggest problem is that i need something ready "hardened" because i don't really have the expertise when it comes to Linux to know if my system is secure or not. Straying slightly from my original question, if anyone knows of any package/service that could test my system for weaknesses against common attacks, that might also be useful.

Thanks again.

^^^ Most linux distros are "hardened" out of the box. And your second question, nmap.
    'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.'
    --Abraham Lincoln