Find the answer to your Linux question:
New friends, I have recently been freed from the Matrix (thanks to a tech guy I met on a plane) and am looking forward to the Linux experiance. One problem, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

MEPIS error help

New friends,

I have recently been freed from the Matrix (thanks to a tech guy I met on a plane) and am looking forward to the Linux experiance. One problem, I have loaded the latest Mepis onto my HD, but when I boot, I get this error,

"There was an error setting up inter-process communications for KDE. The message returned by the system was: Could not read network connection list. /cygwin/c/.DCOPserver_<machinename>_-0. Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running!".

Any help would be much apreciated.

Kind regards,

Jowen
    Alberta, Canada

I had a similar error, quite some time ago, and it was from activating live RSS feeds in the KDE RSS app (sorry cannot remember exactly the name). I logged in as root and deleted the profile folder in my user account and all went well after that. I have since re-activated it with no trouble. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by sepius
    I had a similar error, quite some time ago, and it was from activating live RSS feeds in the KDE RSS app (sorry cannot remember exactly the name). I logged in as root and deleted the profile folder in my user account and all went well after that. I have since re-activated it with no trouble. Hope this helps.
    The standard install of Mepis uses Akgregator for RSS feeds.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Look in /etc/hostname

Take a look in /etc/hostname and see if there is a space in your hostname if there is remove it. You can check it by running the live cd(root+root)-> open konsole-> type "kdf"--hit enter-> right click on the drive you have Mepis installed on and choose "mount"-- right click again and "choose open in file manager"
    navigate to /mnt/HD**/etc/hostname click on the file should open with a text editor.