Okay, after trying about ten different distros, I've come back to sabayon (it seems to detect everything, although it is currently problematic on my system). I am running a Gateway MT6456 Laptop with an ATI xpress 1150 (256 MB), which I hear is based off of the 200M and/or x300 series. The computer is so new, I am having problems finding linux drivers for all kinds of hardware! A good example of this is portrayed on my previous post involving the Marvell TopDog 802.11 n/a/b/g card (I finally had to cave and buy a cheap D-Link wireless card, aside from composing/changing lines of driver code, there was no other option).

Anyway, back to the problem at hand... Beryl seems to be working perfectly on my laptop, but loading programs and performing certain tasks (even without Beryl running) can screw things up. Example: when I click on something, the KDE bouncing icon will stay in one place and bounce slowly, while the cursor is still moving around on the screen. The cursor movement itself is also very choppy. It seems like if I click on something twice or more, the system will freeze completely, and I need to restart X. Now, are these symptoms of a faulty ATI driver, or a conflict between something Sabayon is running and my machine?

glxinfo | grep direct
Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0"
Direct Rendering: No

Would chaning the "extensions" section in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf from "enable" Composite to "disable" help? I've heard ATI doesn't support composite too well.