Find the answer to your Linux question:
` Hullo world! (Blink, blink... my first post on this forum - and the forum itself looks to me a bit like Trantor, or a multi-million population megalopolis at least. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question What else do I have to do to make .wmv files run in Kaffeine/Firefox on KDE linux?

`
    Hullo world! (Blink, blink... my first post on this forum - and the forum itself looks to me a bit like Trantor, or a multi-million population megalopolis at least. No doubt there's already a thread somewhere that deals with my problem, but I don't even know how to find it if it is there. Anyway, here's the problem... )

Whenever I try to run a wmv file in Firefox - or is it Kaffeine? - from a website, on KDE linux, I get an error message that says " ...can't find wmvdmod.dll". So I went to the recommended free download site, downloaded the zipfile, unzipped it, logged in as root, copied the file to usr/lib/win32 and tried again to run the wmv file - with the result that still " ...can't find wmvdmod.dll"!

So what do I do next? Any help will be most appreciated, and since I'm still not sure how this forum works just yet, you may certainly email me at:
    ozdimdim@yahoo.com.au

Thanks,
    nUlinuxuser

`
    Last edited by nUlinuxuser; 05-07-2007 at 11:17 AM. Reason: factual error

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    KDE is actually not a Linux distro, but a linux Desktop. Do you know what distro you are using because sometimes distros ship witht the required codecs or have them in an online repository and you can install them with a few clicks or a few commands.

The method that works without and distro specific steps is to download the essential codecs from mplayers website, extract them to /usr/lib/win32 and then configure Kaffeine (the xine settings) so that it knows where the codecs are. You may also want to install the mozilla/firefox kaffeine plugin.