Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22
Originally Posted by Thrillhouse Also, take a look at this thread, especially the part about installing .bin and .sh files. I just tried that exactly and it didnt work... i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #11
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrillhouse View Post
    Also, take a look at this thread, especially the part about installing .bin and .sh files.
    I just tried that exactly and it didnt work...
    i got the cannot execute binary file error

  2. #12
    Linux Engineer Thrillhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Arlington, VA, USA
    Posts
    1,377
    Have you tried executing the last command as root?

  3. #13
    Super Moderator devils casper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Chandigarh, India
    Posts
    24,729
    open Terminal and execute 'ls' command. if RealPlayer is not listed in output, execute 'cd' command to navigate to folder having RealPlayer.bin file.
    execute this
    Code:
    chmod +x Realplayer.bin
    ./RealPlayer.bin
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
  5. #14
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrillhouse View Post
    Have you tried executing the last command as root?
    How would i go about doing that? I'm not quite sure what you mean.

    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    open Terminal and execute 'ls' command. if RealPlayer is not listed in output, execute 'cd' command to navigate to folder having RealPlayer.bin file.
    execute this
    Code:
    chmod +x Realplayer.bin
    ./RealPlayer.bin
    Here is what i got

    [DavidW@localhost ~]$ ls RealPlayer.bin
    RealPlayer.bin
    [DavidW@localhost ~]$ chmod +x RealPlayer.bin
    [DavidW@localhost ~]$ ./RealPlayer.bin
    bash: ./RealPlayer.bin: cannot execute binary file

  6. #15
    Linux Engineer Thrillhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Arlington, VA, USA
    Posts
    1,377
    To become root, execute the following command:
    Code:
    su -
    then enter root's password. It won't echo anything (not even *******) but if you do enter root's password correctly and hit enter, you will now have root privileges. Then you should try executing:
    Code:
    ./RealPlayer.bin

  7. #16
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrillhouse View Post
    To become root, execute the following command:
    Code:
    su -
    then enter root's password. It won't echo anything (not even *******) but if you do enter root's password correctly and hit enter, you will now have root privileges. Then you should try executing:
    Code:
    ./RealPlayer.bin
    This is what i got

    [DavidW@localhost ~]$ su
    Password:
    [root@localhost DavidW]# ./RealPlayer.bin
    bash: ./RealPlayer.bin: cannot execute binary file

  8. #17
    Linux Newbie objuan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    california
    Posts
    234
    Hi
    in the /home/DavidW/ dir do a ls -al on RealPlayer.bin and paste the results in here.

  9. #18
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by objuan View Post
    Hi
    in the /home/DavidW/ dir do a ls -al on RealPlayer.bin and paste the results in here.
    I now have the file in the root not the desktop
    and
    heres the results

    [DavidW@localhost ~]$ ls -al RealPlayer.bin
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 DavidW DavidW 5802563 May 12 22:27 RealPlayer.bin

  10. #19
    Linux Newbie objuan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    california
    Posts
    234
    The file permissions are correct the file should execute with ./
    if it don't my be the file is corrupt or is in complete. If this is the case I would just go download it again try and get it from helix. and try again.

  11. #20
    Linux Engineer Thrillhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Arlington, VA, USA
    Posts
    1,377
    Also, on some distributions, .bin's can be executed with sh. You can give that a shot too.
    Code:
    sh RealPlayer.bin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •