Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
How many versions of Lunix is their, what are the differences Recently bought a new laptop with the new version of Windows Vista Home, Vista keeps crashing and is so ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless ? and second OS

How many versions of Lunix is their, what are the differences

Recently bought a new laptop with the new version of Windows Vista Home, Vista keeps crashing and is so slow, so been playing with Lunix of the CD and would like to install it along with vitsa as a second os, anyone any tips

also lunix picks up a wireless network but how do i check which one it iis its picking up and how do i set up a secure network, my toshiba has a wireless thing pre installed

many thanks for replies

How many versions of Lunix is their, what are the differences
    Hundreds if not thousands, the difference is mainly the package manager (the way you install software) and the purpouse of the distro (desktop, server, router, etc)

Which distro are you using in the Live CD?

also lunix picks up a wireless network but how do i check which one it iis its picking up and how do i set up a secure network, my toshiba has a wireless thing pre installed
    You can use iwconfig in a terminal window to get which ESSID you are using, there are also graphical tool but we need to know which distro you are using
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just Joined!
    distro - new word for me

OK I am using it on a lap top just as a personal computer hoping to connect to a wireless router

does that help

Not really, which version of Linux? Ubuntu, Fedora, SuSE, etc ... that's a distro
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Pablo View Post
    Not really, which version of Linux? Ubuntu, Fedora, SuSE, etc ... that's a distro
    Hmmm don't know all it says is Simply Mepis 6.0-Beta 4

I had trouble getting wireless to work with versions of Mepis before 6.5.
    With 6.5 you can bring up "mnetwork", and configure it from there.
    Maybe someone else was able to get it working pre 6.5.
    Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by budman7 View Post
    I had trouble getting wireless to work with versions of Mepis before 6.5.
    With 6.5 you can bring up "mnetwork", and configure it from there.
    Maybe someone else was able to get it working pre 6.5.
    Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    So how do i upgrade?

I know linux used to be free but I am aware that recently their hass been a licence fee

For ease of use on networking I would use a distro that has NetworkManager. That would suggest to me Fedora,openSUSE or Ubuntu.

Although I use openSUSE myself you might be best off with Ubuntu. It is completely free and has good wireless support. Also the download is only 1 CD. Configuring your network then will be as simple as clicking an icon in the system tray

I know linux used to be free but I am aware that recently their hass been a licence fee
    You don't need a licence to run Linux, maybe some distros but most doesn't need one
    Linux User #425940

Licenses are for Empires

All MEPIS asks of its users is support and a sense of community. When I got 6.5, I paid $17 for their cd rather than make my own, just so I had a reliable boot cd, but mainly to support Warren Woodford and the other marvelous geeks who made MEPIS. As I often mention at my political blog, if we ran governments and corporations the way these amazing open source communities run their operations, we'd have a fair measure more of peace and reason in this world.

So if you like what the geeks did for you (and there isn't much to dislike about MEPIS), buy cd's, go to their store and buy stuff there, donate, and support the user community (I've recently volunteered my Mac Book to help them test an alpha version of MEPIS for Intel Mac). No license beyond the common sense terms of the GPL is required in this realm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast