Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just seeing how they stack up. I just recieved Linux pro magazine and I got Xandros 4 dvd installer. Pretty happy with Ubuntu but it feels like its missing something. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Xandros compared to Ubuntu ?

Just seeing how they stack up. I just recieved Linux pro magazine and I got Xandros 4 dvd installer. Pretty happy with Ubuntu but it feels like its missing something. Been checking out other distro's for the last few day's.

Later

Xandros and Ubuntu are both Debian based why not try Debian
    it's not lacking. here's a link
    Debian -- Network install from a minimal CD
    go to Official netinst images for the stable release and select the
    architecture that you are using. Download and burn the iso

Quote Originally Posted by mr56k View Post
    Just seeing how they stack up. I just recieved Linux pro magazine and I got Xandros 4 dvd installer. Pretty happy with Ubuntu but it feels like its missing something. Been checking out other distro's for the last few day's.

Later
    Missing something? I'm not sure I follow your question. Xandros does have a few notable differences with Ubuntu. Here's a few off the top of my head:

• Xandros is a paid (not free-of-charge) distribution
    • Xandros uses a modified KDE desktop
    • Xandros won't easily let you change to a GNOME desktop
    • Some versions of Xandros include Codeweavers CrossOver program to run Microsoft Office

As stated above, however, both Xandros and Ubuntu use Debian as their starting point.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Guru
    Both to my knowledge are compatible with all deb repositories (though Ubuntu may now at this stage have enough differences to break a few dependencies).

If you find either good enough then go with that, but if you intend doing a lot of changing and customising I would say either would be fine. Personally I would go with Ubuntu. Why go with so much proprietary route with Xandros.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    Both to my knowledge are compatible with all deb repositories (though Ubuntu may now at this stage have enough differences to break a few dependencies).

If you find either good enough then go with that, but if you intend doing a lot of changing and customising I would say either would be fine.
    I would suggest that if you're going to want to customize a lot of stuff (particularly the user interface) you do not use Xandros. The strength of Xandros is in being able to drop it in and start using it, and changing the graphical interface (which has already been heavily modified) can cause problems. The same is true for using the standard Debian repositories as opposed to the Xandros Network. I've run into problems doing this in versions 2 and 3, but I haven't tried 4 yet.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I have to say that I dissagree with the idea that Xandros is a hassle to mod.
    There is plenty of help and easy guidance on modding your themes on xandros.
    Xandros works well with .deb and .rpm.
    I myself am a Gamer. I find that playing games with wine run smoother with xandros with less lag than with ubuntu. I find ubuntu bloated and pretty much a a bag of wind.what ever you want or already have on ubuntu , yu can do with xandros. anything on xandros you do not want... just fricken uninstall it. there really isn't much on it. I say for $29-$39 you aren't out much if you are dissapointed. but you will never get the support with ubuntu that you get with xandros. The only support you get from ubuntu is 2 million kids screaming "UBUNTU RULES!" .

I say try them both for yourself and try and make an honest decision..

Just Joined!
    All,

I have been using Xandros 4.1 Professional for my business and have to say I am very happy with its features. It has been close to (1) one year since I stopped using Windows XP and do not miss it at all!

My primary purpose is to do business, fax, e-mail, presentations, CAD drawings, documentation.....etc. I have also been able to make modifications using Synaptic Package Manager, which works very well when adding or removing programs in Xandros.

Just Joined!
    I have tried some 12 different distros and Xandros is the only one which has been bullet broof. Able to access my old windows programs and with 1 click install of new files its great.

Frank