Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Would another Mepis user check this site Podcast and see if they click on one of the podcasts if it will open for them? I've read sometimes sites have these ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

can anyone check this site??

Would another Mepis user check this site Podcast and see if they click on one of the podcasts if it will open for them? I've read sometimes sites have these encoded or something so they can only be played by certain software. Anyway, I want to see if I've been banging my head on my keyboard for no good reason. So if someone else can or can not get it to play, could they let me know?
    Thanks!

It is in Quicktime format
    Last edited by savvy_cowgirl; 06-09-2007 at 07:37 AM. Reason: add information

Yep you need to install the codecs. Take a look at Installation - Automatix Wiki
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Hi Vergil, I shouldn't install automatix, this is from the Mepis Wiki Mepis 6.5

Automatix2 is not in development for Mepis 6.5. Warren has made many changes to the kernel, X.org, and the underlying components of Mepis 6.5 in relation to 6.0. Currently Automatix2 is considered as being incompatible with Mepis 6.5

I'm running 6.5, I'm sorry, I should have said that. I do have synaptic.
    following the directions in this post http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/mep...e-firefox.html
    I have installed the following codecs (actually, most of them were already there)
    libcdio6 (0.76-1ubuntu1)
    libiso9660-4 (0.76-1ubuntu1)
    libvcdinfo0 (0.7.23-1ubuntu1)
    xine-ui (0.99.4-0ubuntu6)
    mozilla-mplayer
    liblame0 (3.96.1-1)
    libmad0 (0.15.1b-2.1)
    mencoder (2:0.99+1.0pre7try2+cvs20060117-0ubuntu
    mplayer (2:0.99+1.0pre7try2+cvs20060117-0ubuntu
    mplayer-fonts (3.5-2)
    mplayer-skins (2-6)
    w32codecs (1:20061022-0.0)
    libavifile-0.7c2 (1:0.7.44.20051021-1ubuntu2)
    libfame-0.9 (0.9.0-0.1)
    libmpeg2-4 (0.4.0b-4ubuntu1)
    libpvm3 (3.4.5-6)
    transcode (2:1.0.2-0.0ubuntu2)

I didn't install the one about no-gui, cause I don't want to go the no gui route

I also can Play DVDs and music CDs through Kaffeine, so I thought I had all my codecs. But something is really amuck..
    Then I configured it as per this mplayer configuration guide

According to synaptic I have one broken entry "Mozilla Helix Player" I thought Helix was Real Player?
    Here is my error message after tryng to install helix player:

dpkg: error processing /var/ache/apt/archives/helix-player_1.0.6-3_i386.deb (unpack)
    trying to overwrite /usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/libgekhx.mo which is also in package realplay.
    dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken Pipe)
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/helix-player_106-3_i386.deb
    Not all changes and updates succeeded.

I think I have all my codecs, and I thought I had helix (I can play .wmv files using gmplayer) since I have realplayer installed.
    But it looks like i have a problem, I'm not sure why, but the broken pipe NEVER sounds good to me (I've never had one in Linux, but in a house they aren't a good thing)

I'm not sure what this overwriting business is either. Do I need to uninstall something maybe to make it work? I know I've installed a lot of stuff trying to make this podcast play.
    Thanks so much for any help you can give!

Quote Originally Posted by savvy_cowgirl View Post
    I have installed the following codecs...
    The win32codecs should play it.
    According to synaptic I have one broken entry "Mozilla Helix Player" I thought Helix was Real Player?
    Here is my error message after tryng to install helix player:...
    You are correct again, helix is for real player. However, if you already have real player install, helix won't install correctly (that is why you are getting that error).

If you can play wmv with gmplayer, than there shouldn't be a problem with the podcast. When you go to Pat Parelli on grooming our horses for example, do you get mplayer embeded in the page. It should look something like the image I posted below?
    Attached Images Attached Images

My gmplayer opens now automatically as you can see, but the little black square it would normally play in remains blank except for the mediaplayerconnectivity symbol. The gmplayer controls pop up, along with, unfortunantly a box saying "no stream found". I don't think I use RealPlayer for anything, and can't gmplayer play RealPlayer files anyway? If I uninstall RealPlayer will this solve the problem? Once in awhile I watch something on youtube, but I love these weekly podcasts.
    Is the broken pipe related to Real Player?
    Thanks so much Vergil!

Just wanted to ask, do you have mplayerplug-in installed?
    EDIT: I can get these podcasts to work
    Yahoo! Podcasts - Discover and enjoy all the best podcasts and vidcasts
    but not the horse care videos.
    http://podcast.parelli.com/Parelli&#...F5DA1001E.html
    =-{
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

According to synaptic search for mplayer plugin I have:
    kmplayer-kong-plugin
    mozilla-mplayer
    xmms-xmmplayer

So, I believe I do. I use Firefox.
    You can't get the Parelli Podcasts to play either?
    If I remove Real Player will my gmplayer work correctly then??
    Is there hope at the end of the tunnel??

So, I believe I do. I use Firefox.
    You can't get the Parelli Podcasts to play either?
    If I remove Real Player will my gmplayer work correctly then??
    Nope, that should have no connection. Try selecting ok THEN try pusing play on the mplayer controls.

If that doesn't working try manualy entering the url for the podcast to make sure mplayer can play it. Run gmplayer, then select open, play url. The url for that newest video is
    Code:
    http://podcast.parelli.com/Parelli%20Natural%20Horsemanship/Podcast/B8A6F2D8-D222-4D48-9258-A5AF5DA1001E_files/Free%20DVD%20US.m4v

I am quickly coming to the idea this is the fault of the mplayer-plugin. If my advice from my other posts doesn't work, try using synaptic to remove mozilla-mplayer and install kaffeine-mozilla. Restart your browser and hope it works better.

Kaffine gets closer

Ok, I took out the mplayer plugin. (OH, I forgot to say, I had already tried entering the URL and seeing if I could get it to play that way) I had tried this with both Kaffeine & Mplayer and couldn't get it to work either way.
    Using MediaPlayerConnectivity I have now designated kaffeine as my player. Kaffeine can play the .wmv site, but when I tried to play the Parelli podcast with it it tells me no plug in found to handle it. I am giving you a screen shot because it shows that xine (which I also tried using. Xine will look like it's going to work, shows it buffering, but then it doesn't play.) does look like it has plugins. It says something about demux (which I don't understand, so that may be the problem) but running a synaptic search for demux gives me
    gstreamer-fluendo
    libxine1
    libxine1c2
    libxine-extracodecs
    mpegdemux
    are all installed

running a synaptic search for kaffeine plugins I have
    kaffeine-mozilla
    kopete

so here is my kaffeine error

What do I do now? It sounds like Kaffeine can almost do it?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast