Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
the only reason i have a computer is for Internet and music, I've recently switched from windows and need help filling a void in my life. i thought i could ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

anyone using limewire?

the only reason i have a computer is for Internet and music, I've recently switched from windows and need help filling a void in my life. i thought i could just download limewire for Linux but the download was insane. I'm sure i need to get used to this OS but i was really hoping for some sort of compatible p2p as soon as possible, id appreciate any suggestions

You'd probably be better off using aMule or eDonkey. I found Limewire to be a terrible piece of software. Also have you considered using bittorrent? Applications like Ktorrent and Azureus are excellent. The trick is with any p2p application to ensure you open the appropriate ports and forward these ports on your router to your PC.

Just Joined!
    thank you for responding bigtomrodney, you seem very credible but as a newcomer i have no idea what "open the appropriate ports and forward these ports on your router to your PC" means, please forgive my ignorance

You're right, sorry I jumped right in. Basically if you look into using bittorrent - say check out Azureus : Java BitTorrent Client - and you like it you can then speed up and optimise your connection by forwarding a port...

...No need to worry about the details if you don't want to. Just check the configuration in Azureus for the port number (usually 6881) then check out PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall for a step by step tutorial on how to do it for your machine.

To be honest though I'd be more concerned with getting a bittorrent application first !

Just Joined!
    i fear i may be unable to comprehend this process, i downloaded Azureus : Java BitTorrent Client, from the website but i have no idea where to go from there i have no idea how to use Karchiver and i have no idea how to "check the configuration in Azureus for the port number (usually 6881) then check out PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall" i don't even no what it means to check the configuration

i fear i am way over my head and should pay $150 to have xp installed, i just want free music

Checking the configuration would be no different to any Windows app. Simply go to Tools > Options in the menu. Linspire may already have Azureus in the Click N'Run installer tool that comes with Linspire so you may do well to check there. If not the download you have is as simple as right-clicking and "extract here" (or something to that effect). Karchiver or any other tool of this nature will act just like Winzip does in Windows.

Actually i've used limewire and azuerus didnt do any configuration with azuerus or limewire
    With azuerus just unpacked it into a folder i run it from terminal with command ./azuerus and it runs like a dream

Freespireuser, what do you mean by "the download is insane" is this from Limewire itself? Is it downloading at a low speed?" I would also suggest using Azurues, torrents are not p2p they work differently. Maybe you are thinking it's the same as Limewire but the concept is pretty much different. With torrents you search a torrent site(s) and download the torrent link, which as a .tor extension then open that file with Azureus/BitTorrent/KTorrent or any Torrent app and it will start downloading what you searched for from various hosts/computers, depending how many seeders (people sharing) and leechers (people downloading) there are..which will determine whether you have a fast download speed or not.

Often you requiere to open ports in your router setup so that torrents work, same thing with P2P. Also try aMule and eDonkey as suggested instead of LimeWire .

Just Joined!
    i found ktorrent already on my computer and have begun to make sense of it thanks to netstrider, I'd like to thank everyone for their help. can anyone give a reason to choose torrent over p2p? i wish i had a choice but am stuck with torrent until i am capable of understanding how to obtain a p2p program.ktorrent just seems slow and tedious compared to limewire, kazaa, bearshare, ect. on windows.

Just Joined!
    netstrider i forgot to answer your first question, when i said the limewire download was insane (for linux), i meant that I'm used to clicking the download button on a windows PC and having the program up and running in a few minutes without doing anything else. i didn't know how good i had it

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast