Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok i got a compaq desktop with a error that it gives me on startup here it is EMM386 has detected error #1 in an application at memory address 00B8 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

EMM386 Error

ok i got a compaq desktop with a error that it gives me on startup here it is

EMM386 has detected error #1 in an application at memory address 00B8 : 1074
    To minimalize the chance of data loss, EMM386 has halted your computer. For more information consult your documentation.

What is the problem here i dont understand should i reformat the partition or something like that or would that work. the fan is very dirty i got it used do you think that may be the problem i dont know let me know. really need help

appreciate it

V

iirc, Corrupt Window OS ( esp. 98 ) throw this error. which Linux distro do you have?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

?

im running ubuntu on my laptop and my other desktop and i just got this other computer. That has an error it says loading windows 95 when it loads but i know thats whats not on there do you know what i could do to fix it. Do you need more information let me know.

All signs point to it being Windows. Are you planning on reinstalling Linux on it anyway? Check the disk contents using a livecd.

Just Joined!

.....?

i have a desktop with linux on it and a laptop with linux both have ubuntu 6.10

the computer that has an error has windows. Am i able to wipe the partition and reinstall windows or put linux on there.

Am i able to wipe the partition and reinstall windows or put linux on there.
    you have to decide how can you get best out of that box.
    either wipe harddisk and re-install Windows or Linux.
    OR boot up from Ubuntu LiveCD, mount Windows Partition and comment out programs listed in autoexec.bat file. check config.sys file too.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

booting

to boot you just push F8 right just makin sure cause it loads says something fast and goes to that output error i said earlier. and ill probably put windows back on it or linux not sure.