Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I'm really new to Linux. I tried several Live Cd on different on a laptop. My problem is I could not play any nes, snes, and Genesis emulator on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Im new to Linux, Need help...

Hi I'm really new to Linux. I tried several Live Cd on different on a laptop. My problem is I could not play any nes, snes, and Genesis emulator on most the Linux os. (I own the game system and games). I try to download them and nothing happend all it says error reading file, and not supported.
    I just really want to play game on a Linux laptop..

I wanted to know if you guys know what is the best linux os to play games and lots of emulators?

Quote Originally Posted by amanofgreatevil View Post
    Hi I'm really new to Linux. I tried several Live Cd on different on a laptop. My problem is I could not play any nes, snes, and Genesis emulator on most the Linux os. (I own the game system and games). I try to download them and nothing happend all it says error reading file, and not supported.
    How are you trying to install the emulators? There are Linux versions of most popular emulation programs such as zsnes.

I wanted to know if you guys know what is the best linux os to play games and lots of emulators?
    Any Linux distribution will play these. The important thing is to make sure you're downloading the Linux version of the emulator program itself. EXE files for Microsoft Windows will not run in Linux without a third-party program like WINE or Cedega.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    thanks for replying. Well, I am using Linux mandriva live cd right now. I tried to install zsnes in a rpm file. it seemed to be installed but nothing show up. and sometime it say it could not installed. i look at the app file but there nothing. then i tried to open a zip like file but nothing is readable to the os. I did tried to install wine but still nothing.

I tried suse live cd but wow big error, I tried unbuntu it seemed it has cd error or it wont load. I tried on a desktop pc and a laptop but still nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by amanofgreatevil View Post
    thanks for replying. Well, I am using Linux mandriva live cd right now. I tried to install zsnes in a rpm file. it seemed to be installed but nothing show up. and sometime it say it could not installed. i look at the app file but there nothing. then i tried to open a zip like file but nothing is readable to the os. I did tried to install wine but still nothing.
    Are you trying to install programs onto a LiveCD environment? That won't work.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    i been trying to install in a comp hard disk too, but still wont do..

Linux Newbie
    First, you need to decide whether you are going to stick with Mandriva, or move on to a different distribution.

Second, like TechiMoe said, if you are trying to install anything onto a live boot environment, it won't work UNLESS you have a persistant image AND install the application to an accessible partition.

You said that you tried to install Mandriva to your hard disk but that it didnt work. This means that you issue is not installing ZSNES/DGEN to your live environment, but that you cannot successfully install Mandriva to your desktop.

Which version of Mandriva are you using? Have you looked for a distribution with emulators already installed? Knoppix 5.1.1 has ZSNES instaled, so you can put your roms on the Windows HDD, boot into the live environment, and then play all the SNES you want to.

Just Joined!
    Like the others stated, you can't install anything in a LiveCD environment. I've been playing NES games on Ubuntu for a few days now. My Nyko gamepad worked without having to install any kind of third party software as well...