Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everybody, I am looking for the Linux distro for completely blind people. I am speaking not about separate applications -- screen readers such as BLinux or Emacspeak-the distro is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Looking a distro for blind people

Hello everybody,

I am looking for the Linux distro for completely blind people. I am speaking not about separate applications -- screen readers such as BLinux or Emacspeak-the distro is supposed for completely blind people, so the distro should not use at all keyboard/mouse and passwords for authentification. On the other hand, the authentification should exist (prefreably voice based ?) since the computer should be used by many people.

It is not needed to have any graphical shell/ X server, it is sufficient to have just a few applications:
    Voice-based internet browser, email account, news reader and Skype

I would be grateful if anybody provided the links to such application.

Thanks in advance,
    Xaleandr

oz
    forum.guy
    You could have a look at ZipSpeak:

ftp://mirror.services.wisc.edu/mirro...eak/index.html

Google it for additional information.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thank You very much for the prompt reply, but it seems just a bunch of screen readers.

They can reproduce the text, but (As far as I understood) they cannot convert voice into text/commands. The same problem is with other distros I found so far in Google. That is why I posted this thread.

Nevertheless, thank You very much,
    Has anybody any more suggestions ???

Xaleandr

I have looked for a while and I found a very customizable program just for this called Xvoice , it may fullfill you needs but you will need to configure it.
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot,

it really seems what I need. But unfortunately it is just a front end to a proprietary closed-source IBM Via Voice utility.

Xaleandr

A quick search on distrowatch yielded INSERT and ...., that was the only one I could find.
    I did see Oralux, but that has been discontinued.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    Hello,
    Quote Originally Posted by budman7 View Post
    A quick search on distrowatch yielded INSERT and ...., that was the only one I could find.
    Sorry, but as far as I know INSERT is a Knoppix-style rescue disk with a very limited functionality. By the way, the disk is shipped as a rescue CD for Windows with a (German) book "Windows XP Handbuch"

Quote Originally Posted by budman7 View Post
    I did see Oralux, but that has been discontinued.
    Yes, according to description in Wikipedia, Oralux is similar to what I am looking for. But somewhy the site Oralux: Home doesn't respond at all. I found it in torrent, so currently I am downloading it and plan to test it. Thank You very much for the link !

Just Joined!
    Hello,
    tried the Oralux LiveCD you recommended. Found that the distro is still very far from being usable.
    (1) The quality of sound [voice synthesier] . While in English it is reasonable, in other languages [Russian-my native] it is terrible.
    (2) You are constantly asked to press different keys and key combinations [Ctrl/Shft F1, Ctr+e etc.]. For blind people this is a great problem.
    (3)The form of the LiveCD is not well suited-it requires reconfiguration each time (try to configure modem connetion with closed eyes)

Nevertheless, thank You very much for the link,

Best regards,
    Xaleandr