Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I've now downloaded and burned the alternate CD and when i boot it and click install nothing happens and after a few seconds it is impossible for me to type ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I've now downloaded and burned the alternate CD and when i boot it and click install nothing happens and after a few seconds it is impossible for me to type anything on the blank screen, not even ctrl+alt+del, so i reboot the computer.

Then i decided to, when the screen asking me what to do comes up, i press F6 and type the following commands (i didn't think any would work so i typed all the ones i knew of):

boot=break
    break=top
    acpi=off
    noapic
    pnpbios=off
    And to my amazement it worked, almost, i got to the installation process but it could not detect my CD-ROM so i restarted.

Question: how do i create a floppy disk with the cd rom drivers on it, that's what the install tells me to do.
    It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.

- Voltaire

Progress Report:

Well, after coming up with one of my genius ideas i did this;

1. created a new partition, ext3
    2. extracted then copied all the files from the gutsy gibbon iso(not the alternate cd, the normal i386 one) to the new partition
    3. edited my grub menu.lst file, so that i could boot from the new partition
    4. added the commands "noapic" and "acpi=off"
    5. rebooted the computer and booted into the new partition.

This time, to my excitement, all seemed to work. A lot of writing quickly whizzed across the screen and then came ubuntus nice brown wallpaper - the one that shows before it asks you to log in.

But then, right before the gnome splash screen was supposed to come up, it just.......stopped.......forever. I could still press alt+F1, i also could move the mouse around the whole time, and see that nothing new was happening - good or bad. So i eventually rebooted and came to post this.

I suppose i will try again tomorrow, i need to give up for today.
    It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.

- Voltaire

did you try same method with Feisty?
    a Glibc BUG causing segmentation fault poped up in Gutsy Gibbon a few days back. its not fixed yet and most of applications are crashing.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

I dont quite understand feisty. When i open up the cd with gutsy on it i can see lots of folders and whatnot, this is the same with edgy. But when i open up the feisty cd all i can see in it is three folders - is it ment to be like this.

- Voltaire

OK, i just did the same procedure (as above) with the feisty alternate i386 CD. But it still gets to the CD ROM mounting step and says " no common cd rom was detected" it then says i can either put in a floppy with the cd drivers on it or select the modules myself.

How can i tell it that im not installing from a cd rom drive? I'm installing from a hard drive.

P.S. i have a "ATAPI DVD DUAL 4XMax" cd drive. And ive never had to install any drivers for it on any OS.

- Voltaire

SUCCESS

Well im proud to tell you i finally got everything to "just work", like its supposed to.

OK, for anyone who may have a similar problem in the future heres what i did to fix it on my computer:

1. created a separate partition and extracted the ubuntu iso onto it
    2. edited gurb menu.lst so i could boot into the new partition
    3. removed the power to my CD-ROM drive!!!
    4. boot into the new partition, and all should work.

So thats what i did, simply take out my cd roms power supply and it simply couldn't interfere any more and all worked as a live cd should. You'd would have thunk it.

Actually im quite upset i didn't do this earlier, when feisty first came out. I always knew it was something to do with my cd drive i just never thought such a painfully simple solution could work so i never tried it.

Anyways, thanks to all who tried to help with this . Its much appreciated.

P.S. i still haven't installed ubuntu just yet, im partitioning my hard drive now - hope i don't run into any more issues. Although, after i install will i never be able to run it unless i unplug my cd drive? but im too happy to care right now so ill cross that bridge later.

- Voltaire

Well Done !!!

these are for you.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but, i just discovered that all the 2.6.20+ kernels work fine when using qemu.

Why would it work under a virtual machine but not under a real one?

- Voltaire

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2