Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Well I've just discovered my problem, but first a little background information: 1. i downloaded ubuntu 6.10, all worked great - kernel 2.6.17 2. i downloaded ubuntu 7.04, i could ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Creating a distro...........sort of

Well I've just discovered my problem, but first a little background information:

1. i downloaded ubuntu 6.10, all worked great - kernel 2.6.17
    2. i downloaded ubuntu 7.04, i could not install it - kernel 2.6.20
    3. i downloaded ubuntu 7.10(testing), and had the same problem as with 7.04 - kernel 2.6.22
    4. i downloaded mandriva 2007, all worked great - kernel 2.6.17
    5. i downloaded mandriva 2007.1, all worked great - kernel 2.6.17

I now realise, after some research on forums and distrowatch.com, that all the distros i find impossible to install have the linux kernel 2.6.20. And all the versions i have no problem with have the linux kernel 2.6.17.

Now that i know its something to do with the kernel version i was wondering if its possible to download ubuntu 7.10 (gutsy gibbon testing) and, before i burn it to a dvd, take out the kernel and replace it with a 2.6.17, the one that works for me. Is this possible to do without having studied 4yrs of computer science?

I've heard about LFS (linux from scratch), can i do what i want with this program?

And if this is possible, i assume anything is possible with enough work, will it all be stable enough and easy enough for me - a relative beginner to linux - to do so?

P.S. please don't ask me about why the kernel 2.6.20 doesn't work, I've already tried a million and one "solutions" and none of them work for me.

Thanks

edit: if this is the wrong board (i think it is), please someone move it for me. sorry
    It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.

- Voltaire

Now that i know its something to do with the kernel version i was wondering if its possible to download ubuntu 7.10 (gutsy gibbon testing) and, before i burn it to a dvd, take out the kernel and replace it with a 2.6.17, the one that works for me. Is this possible to do without having studied 4yrs of computer science?
    It's therorically possible but you would need to replace the kernel modules, the kernel itself, modify the ISOLINUX configuration to point to the new kernel. It will be very tricky but it *may* work

I've heard about LFS (linux from scratch), can i do what i want with this program?
    In fact, LFS is not a program is a book, it will instruct you how to build an OS based on the Linux kernel from scratch

If I were you I would just download an old version of Ubuntu or any similar distro with a 2.6.17 kernel, then upgrade the whole OS except the kernel
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Quote Originally Posted by tommytabib
    2. i downloaded ubuntu 7.04, i could not install it - kernel 2.6.20
    did you try Alternate .iso image? whenever LiveCD doesn't work, Alternate CD do the job.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    did you try Alternate .iso image? whenever LiveCD doesn't work, Alternate CD do the job.
    I've heard that doesnt work either and i tried updating and that didnt work, but maybe i will try updating all except the kernel. Thanks for the suggestion.

Anyway im now downloading debian etch (its kernel is 2.6.18) so im really hoping this will work. Fingers crossed.
    It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.

- Voltaire

Debian Etch is nice I agree with Juan Pablo, use an older version of Ubuntu and just don't update the kernel

I might just try that, updating all but the kernel.

But im really starting to get annoyed here because almost all distros are now going to start using 2.6.20+ kernel, even my precious mandriva is set to use it on their next release.

I'm hoping this bug can get sorted out soon or im going to be stuck using older distros forever.

- Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by tommytabib
    I've heard that doesnt work either and i tried updating and that didnt work, but maybe i will try updating all except the kernel.
    Updating? where did you get problem? during installation OR after installation? could you the error message here.

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    Updating? where did you get problem? during installation OR after installation? could you the error message here.
    When i put in the liveCD (feisty or gutsy) and click to start the live cd it loads for about 15sec and then this comes up:

Busyboy v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-3ubuntu2) Built in shell (ash)
    bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
    After reading on the ubuntu forums i discovered a lot of people are having this same problem, its believed to be to do with the hardware i have - something about SCSI and drivers or whatever. Here's a copy of one of the many bug reports sent out.

There are also many a ubuntu forum thread saying "solution to cant access tty error" and I've tried all of their so called solutions and none of them have worked for me so i gave up. I've also tried to upgrade to feisty from edgy and all seemed to work, but when i rebooted and tried to get into ubuntu i get that same busybox error and could no longer get into ubuntu at all.

As of about 4hrs ago i installed debian etch and got it running just fine. Problem is that i really really don't like it at all, i just cant get things to work and am getting frustrated with it for now. So i think ill un-install debian and look for another distribution, it really is a shame though because i really want to use ubuntu gutsy gibbon - so if anyone knows of a real solution to my problem please let me know.

P.S. tomorrow morning im going to download and try to install feisty off of the alternate CD, the reason i haven't tried this before is because many people with my same problem have said that this doesn't help at all. But out of desperation i will give it ago anyway and let you know what happens.

- Voltaire

I've also tried to upgrade to feisty from edgy and all seemed to work, but when i rebooted and tried to get into ubuntu i get that same busybox error and could no longer get into ubuntu at all.
    did you try to edit menu.lst file? in most cases, this error pops up when installer or updater assigns wrong UUID to root partition.
    P.S. tomorrow morning im going to download and try to install feisty off of the alternate CD, the reason i haven't tried this before is because many people with my same problem have said that this doesn't help at all. But out of desperation i will give it ago anyway and let you know what happens.
    do let us know. i think you wont get any error from Alternate install.

did you try to edit menu.lst file? in most cases, this error pops up when installer or updater assigns wrong UUID to root partition.
    Yeah, i think i remember following a few suggestions on ubuntu forums that had to do with a UUID or something.

do let us know. i think you wont get any error from Alternate install.
    Now you've got my hopes up that the alternate cd might actually work, fingers crossed. I'll keep you posted.

- Voltaire

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast