Find the answer to your Linux question:
Thanks, it's been at least 10 years since I loaded and played with Linux OS, wow it has come a loooog way! I have successfully installed a couple of SuSE ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

before I screw up, Advice Xandros / MS Vista dual boot?

Thanks, it's been at least 10 years since I loaded and played with Linux OS, wow it has come a loooog way! I have successfully installed a couple of SuSE linux dist. and have begin to convert my workplace workstations from MS to Linux, much better.. Ahhhh...

I have a co worker, not very computer savvy, who just purchased his first laptop, unfortunately it came installed with MS Vista. My friend can navigate ok with WinXP but is very frustrated with Vista. I understand I have Vista also on a laptop.

I want to try on my laptop first to install XandrOS, I have heard it is good Linux and also good for non computer geeks, on my laptop to test, then on my friends.

For those with experience, your suggestions please on how not to crap out the Windows boot sector and live through the install and be able to boot either OS.

My machine is Dell, Intel dual core, single drive 80GB.

Please any *watch out for*, *be sure to do*, etc...

Thanks, Scott
    newbie Linux guy.

Hi !

Linux Boot Loader ( GRUB/Lilo ) works perfectly and you should use that only.
    its easy to use Windows Boot Loader for Windows XP & Linux dual boot setup ( check here ) but Vista doesn't use boot.ini file. i couldn't find any way to use Vista Boot Loader till now.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First